New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    evo 4 with 2000kmsfor 800 grand? wow, thats a steal. unless na total na sya and tabingi yung takbo, parang bus

andy

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just an opinion... If you're worried about power for those trips then a turbo isnt really necessary as the car outright stock can more than handle that. A turbo (and with the budget you're setting aside for it), may even affect something more important for such trips, reliability. I take most of my long trips up north and down south in my pick-up and that thing has only around 84hp but i can still do good time and enjoy the ride with hardly any hiccup.

If you want added power outright, it's better to just buy a brand new 2.0L sedan like the Lynx, Civic, or Mazda 3.

My .002

3. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix
    read the post, it's an evo 4

plus i don't think you can rewind a digital gauge;)
    Yes you can. Provided you have knowledge of how the number that displays on your dash (and how it is stored), it's going to be as easy if not easier than rewinding an analog gauge.

The Lancer 1.8 MX isn't in any way underpowered, even for an SOHC. Why do people need to be speed freaks in traffic anyway...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup, digital guages "CAN BE" tapped! I won't mention names but a shop specializing in Euro cars based in Makati has the necessary electronic scanner/rewinder to tap guages of bimmers, mercs, and range rovers. this same shop sporadically imports euro cars for sale to the public.

The Lancer 1.8MX has decent power already! a small light pressure turbo (5-7psi boost) however won't adversely affect reliability. installing an intercooler and maybe a water injection system in the induction system will make sure the operating temperature will be within acceptable parameters.
    Last edited by woodfire; January 17th, 2005 at 10:13 AM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix
    read the post, it's an evo 4

plus i don't think you can rewind a digital gauge;)
    it is a common misconception that digital odos are hackproof, there are numerous forums online which have specific instructions on how to hack the odo of an E36. from changing the whole gauge to also changing the DME. im sure japanese sedans are no exception.

an evo5 with 2k mileage is possible if it was just a show car or the owner used it as a weekend car. which i doubt since these beasts are normally abused and tracked around.

anyway back on topic, i think i read somewhere that CVTs are not suited for high output engines, not sure though.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer
    anyway back on topic, i think i read somewhere that CVTs are not suited for high output engines, not sure though.
    Well, the torque a CVT can handle is only how much torque the belt or chain can handle before it breaks. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link ika nga, literally.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    btw, if a CVT always "calculates" the optimal gear ratio, what would happen when extra power is introduced (via forced induction in this case)?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    since the CVT's computer is programmed to handle a certain level of HP/torque from the engine, the CVT will shift earlier in the rpm range if a turbo was installed.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    nope never been totalled just never been used. hehe!

anyway, sold narin yata sya

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Turbo for Lancer 1.8 MX