New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    why not get a couple of estimates from different people and narrow down your options?

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    Mag eliminating process muna tayo. Start with the less cost possible solution to expensive.

1. Check the valve clearance first.

2. Ask the mechanic about the condition of the valve seal.

If there is no change

3. Dry compression test then wet compression test.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    why not get a couple of estimates from different people and narrow down your options?
    i talked to a different mechanic and he said that why not change the valve seals and cylinder head gasket first instead of a top overhaul then check whether the white smoke from the tailpipe disappears.

if it does not disappear, then we would do a top overhaul. so i think that it would be better to perform the top overhaul instead of just changing the seals and gasket in order to improve the performance of the engine plus minimize the labor cost since we would only be doing one job.

now, all i have to do is to save enough money for a top overhaul

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    once na remove yung head you have to replace the gasket din. so better nga na save mo na and prepare for the worst case scenario. white smoke is an indication that your engine is possibly burning coolant, so kailangan mo rin ipa hydro-static test ang head, kung may warp you need din pa resurface. ang worst case kung may crack ay you will replace the head. while nandun ka na sa process you might as well consider replacing timing belt and water pump (depende sa engine)

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gaboy View Post
    i talked to a different mechanic and he said that why not change the valve seals and cylinder head gasket first instead of a top overhaul then check whether the white smoke from the tailpipe disappears.

if it does not disappear, then we would do a top overhaul. so i think that it would be better to perform the top overhaul instead of just changing the seals and gasket in order to improve the performance of the engine plus minimize the labor cost since we would only be doing one job.

now, all i have to do is to save enough money for a top overhaul
    Bro, changing the valve seals, valve guides, gasket etc. is part of a top overhaul procedure. I think your saying is the 'major overhaul' w/c is the process of replacing the main bearing, piston rings etc. (aside from top overhaul procedure).

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    you can replace the valveseals without lifting the head from the block with the use of a special tool...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
top overhaul