New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Mga bossing, tanong kolang, ano ba kadalasan ang dahilan kung bakit maraming tumitirik na sasakyan sa baha.

Maraming salamat po!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    kapag nabasa ang sparkplugs, ignition coil, distributor...
    flooded carburetor...
    napasukan ng tubig ang makina, thru the air intake... (katok ang makina)

usually nangyayari iyan pag masyado malalim ang baha or mabilis ka mag patakbo sa baha.... (yehey splash splash bigla tirik...)

kaya hinay hinay lang pag napapadaan sa baha, kung malalim eh whag na ituloy or pilitin lumusong...

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    pinasok ng tubig yung makina.
    Pinakaiingatan dyan ay wag pasukin ng makina ang air intake.

mga common errors ng driver/owner:

1. MAY LEAKS ang makina or transmission or powersteering...

2. driving more than 40kph on a knee-deep flood.

3. alam na ngang lowered at naka-ram-air at open-type air-filter sinugod parin...

4.for gas engines: pagkainabot ang alternator nyo, patay din makina nyo in due time.. so as pag inabot ang air intake.. pag diesel: air-intake ang ingatan nyo...

5. ang nagdedesisyon ng mag-uturn habang nasakalagitnaan ng pag-lusong sa baha--> baka mahulog ka pa sa butas na di mo nakikita,e...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Even with the engine underwater, you can still make it across if the flooded area isn't too long, as long as your air filter isn't submerged. Once water gets into the cylinders through the air filter element, your engine will stall, and in many cases, will break.

The problem is, on many modern cars, the air filter intake duct is placed very low. The Escape and CR-V, being car-based models and not trucks, have intakes placed between headlight level and bumper level... not very good for flood fording. The new CR-V K-series has the airbox in the back... not sure about the R20... but from appearances, it's mounted very low, and it looks like the intake is low, also.

You should take time to know your car, find out where everything is so you will be prepared come flood time. I made the mistake of not knowing my car, before, and it cost me dearly.

Old Sentras have intakes closer to the firewall of the car. My aunt's SGX Sentra was able to escape falling into a dip where the water went over the windows because there was enough air space to feed the air filter until the car pulled and before water got in. Our FE could also ford pretty deep floods.

Unfortunately, our Exalta, though the same year-model as the FE, had a newer intake design... with the ducting coming out right behind the headlight. One good swish from a passing dump truck, and it was completely dead.

Don't think diesels are immune, either. Older diesels are optimal for flood fording, as there are no spark plugs to short out as the water goes over the top of the engine, and most diesels have their air intakes buried in the fender, which provides an air pocket reserve when wading hood level through flood, but newer diesels also have electronics components that can be damaged by flooding. The Fortuner's ECU, for example, is floor level. The Everest's is higher up, but it's in the engine bay... though it's guaranteed for fording depths of three feet.

To make a very long story short... when in doubt... don't. Stop your car at the nearest "high" spot, or, if worst comes to worst, just let it drown in the flood. Replacing 50-100k pesos worth of electronics isn't as bad as replacing 50-100k pesos worth of electronics and overhauling the engine for another 100k.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The current Isuzu CRDi's also have their ECU's in the engine bay (at least it's on top of the fender). But I'd still prefer having the ECU indoors like on a Montero or Sentra.

The Fortuner's ECU is now behind the dashboard. Apparently the ones with the underseat ECU's were pre-production units.

The Vios/Yaris ECU are mounted in the engine compartment against the firewall. Couldn't they have just spent a little extra cash for a rubber grommet and actually mounted the thing inside the vehicle?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Tnx Bro s reply. Isa pang tanong, my nabasa kasi ko sa isang old thread, ang topic nman nila dun e pagka-clucth habang lumulusong sa baha. na kesyo iwasan daw mag clutch ska un tamang RPM/speed..bla..bla..bla.. May nagtatanong kc dun paulit-ulit,wla nman sumasagot na bkit daw issue yun e sealed nman ang mga transmission,bkit daw papasukin ng tubig? Sana dito masagot. Tnx ulit ng marami.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Manual transmissions are not sealed. Only the fluid compartment (where the gears are) of the transmission is sealed (sealed in the sense that fluid does not flow out, but there can still be points of water entry).

Parts not immersed in gear oil (flywheel, clutch disc) are open to contamination from the environment.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Manual transmissions are not sealed. Only the fluid compartment (where the gears are) of the transmission is sealed (sealed in the sense that fluid does not flow out, but there can still be points of water entry).

Parts not immersed in gear oil (flywheel, clutch disc) are open to contamination from the environment.
    this was what i was afraid of. last night i drove my sister's 96 lancer home through flood waters, i got home ok, but this morning ayaw na magshift yung car. it starts alright, but now upon pressing the clutch the shifter wont go into any of the gears. it just wont slot in. our mechanic says it looks bad and could cost up to P6,000! crap... what happened??

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's probably the same phenomenon when your brakes get stuck after you ford flood waters and use the handbrake overnight.

Just wait for things to dry out. That'll usually take care of the problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Tirik sa baha?