New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Mga peeps, need your experience and opinion on this.

My car is a 1990 corolla 1.6.

I had the timing belt replaced dahil due na sya. nung i-turn over sa akin yung car, i noticed the distributor position is sagad na sa harap. no more room for adjusting it forward later, if needed.

Sabi ko sa mechanic, ano ang timing set nya, sabi nya 0 tdc. sabi ko diba 10 btdc ang stock setting nyan. so he tried to set it at 10 btdc by moving the distributor backward (no more room for adjusting it forward, kasi sagad na nga). when the timing is at 10 btdc, ayon sa timing light nya, tumotope naman.

so binalik nya sa previous 0 tdc setting. i asked bakit ganun, dati at 10 btdc hindi sya tumotope (before belt replacement). he insist na tama naman daw ang kabit nya ng timing belt.

any of you guys have any opinion on what might have happened? 0 btdc ba talaga ang timing ng 4AF? okay lang ba ito?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    check if the vacuum advance was in. if you install the timing belt correctly there should be no need to adjust the distributor from how it was set before the belt was replaced.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    check if the vacuum advance was in. if you install the timing belt correctly there should be no need to adjust the distributor from how it was set before the belt was replaced.
    exactly. It should be at TDC before removing anything.

Timing and Timing Belt