New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Isuzu engines are known to utilize timing gears, particularly their pickup and crosswind lineups. Is there any life span for these before it finally needs replacing? I know they might be able to even last longer than your engine's life (before needing rebuild) pero hindi ba nagkaka allowance den or play ang mga ito...therefore causing more noise? Mileage is approaching 215,000kms

So my quandary is...should it be on my preventive maintenance list? This came to mind because i once saw a hilander with it's timing gear set being replaced due to reasons that the customer was complaining of the engine noise.

TIA!
    Last edited by BeetOls; December 10th, 2006 at 09:39 PM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    normally it won't need replacement naman pero in some cases the timing gear does make up a large part of the noise of the engine lalo na pag luma na talaga.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Dba timing chain ang mga nasa isuzu powerplant. timng gear usually sa mga isuzu truck engines..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    2Dmax,
    Timing gear is also used in Isuzu SUV's and pick-ups. Our Dmax has one.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Sir beetols, according to 4J series documentation, replacement is dependent on play and backlash not necessarily on the age and mileage. Eto and sabi:

1.) Timing Gear Gacklash mm (in)

Standard Limit
    .10-.17 (0.0039-.0067) .30 (.012)

a. Set the dial indicator to the timing gear to be measured. Hold both the gear to be checked and the adjusting gear stationary.
    b. Move the gear to be checked as far as possible to both to the right and to the left.
    c. Take dial indicator reading. If value exceeds limit, timing gear must be replaced.

2. ) Idler Gear "A" End Play mm (in)

Standard Limit
    .07 (.0028) .2 (.0079)

Insert feeler Gauge between idler gear and the thrust collar to measure gap and determine the idler gear end play. If the value exceeds limit, the thrust collar must be replaced.

3.) Camshaft Timing Gear End Play mm (in)

Standard Limit
    .050-.114 (.002-.0044) .20 (.008)

Use dial indicator to measure cam shaft end play. This must be done before removing the camshaft gear. If the camshaft end play exceeds the limit, the thrust plate must be replaced.

i hope this helps.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    thank you sir fuego! hope you were able to fix your prob on the other thread already...these are valuable data.

i am still assessing regarding which needs replacement in the engine department at this time.

i suppose you got those from the service manual? do you have the soft copy? =) pasend sana if it's ok. =) thanks!

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Sabi ng mekaniko ng casa sa isuzu mauna pa daw masira yung buong sasakyan bago masira ang timing gears.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    yes sir...that could be true. kase kahit may play pa yan, its almost impossible for it to break down...yon nga lang maingay....just like what sir speedyfix said, it contributes much to the engine noise in some cases and that's what im trying to get rid of...or perhaps just lessen right now.

Timing Gear Replacement