New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Idol namin kayo sir.

I hope we can invite you sa EB namin para makilala namin kayo. More power to sir Otep.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    I find DJ's claim reasonable. Have you experienced a shut closed thermostat? It can blow your cylinder head and render it RIP.
    Yeah its reasonable. For those who removed their t-stats, run the engine idle for a few minutes before hitting the open road. This is for the temp gauge to register some temp rise before stepping on the accelerators. The engine has to operate at a certain temp so that metal parts inside would expand(because of heat of course) at the desired tolerances for efficient engine operation.
    But if you have "time", buy a t-stat and put it back to save "time" idling the engine at start-up.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    makisawsaw na nga po...

1st, i am (also) a mechanic with a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering as my "tech school". i've been working on engines for 20 plus years.

D_J forgot one thing. D_J's opinion is only correct IF AND ONLY IF a thermostat only closes or opens the flow of cooling water to the radiator, or in short it is acting only as a 2-way valve. IT DOES NOT. an engine thermostat is a 3-WAY valve AND it REGULATES the flow of cooling water. a thermostat manifold has 3 ports - one from the pump, one going back to the engine block (by-passing the radiator) and another going to the radiator. a thermostat has 3 positions - fully closed, midway opening and fully open positions. the temperature value stamped on the thermostat is the fully open set point, the opening set point is normally 5-10 degrees lower (depending on type of thermostat material in the bulb). so if the set point is, for example, 175 deg F, then it actually starts to open at between 165-170 deg F. when the coolant temperature is between these 2 temperatures the thermostat is either partially open or partially closed. up to this point D_J is still correct. BUT when the temperature EXCEEDS the set point stamped on the thermostat body (in this example, 175 deg F), this is when D_J's advice no longer hold true. why? because at this point the thermostat is fully open to the radiator port and fully close to the engine port. remember that there are 3 ports, not just 2. if the thermostat were removed then the flow of coolant will always be 50% to the radiator port and 50% to the engine port. the flow is halved. with a thermostat the flow is 0% back to engine and 100% to raditator for cooling when it is at fully open position.

so what is the effect of removing a thermostat? since an engine without a thermostat will ALWAYS have 50% coolant flowing back to the engine (without passing through the radiator) then you effectively DECREASE the cooling capacity of your cooling system. it may not be too apparent for an engine driven at low loads, but try hauling a trailer (or even just loading the trunk and with 5 passengers on board) without thermostats and you will surely find out why the engine needs a thermostat.

sorry chief D_J, but this chief does not agree with you.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Welcome sir Yebo,

I have been following you sa offshore/on shore rigs thread. This is the man we need in this thread and tsikot in general. Rigs has the best diesel engines and machines. Sa kanila nalaman ko ang HUET, mudpump, drills, turbines. Pati mga ibat ibang tao na makakasalamuha mo sa trabaho. Please share us your knowledge.
    Last edited by 4JGtootsie; June 12th, 2007 at 05:40 PM.

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    makisawsaw na nga po...

1st, i am (also) a mechanic with a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering as my "tech school". i've been working on engines for 20 plus years.

D_J forgot one thing. D_J's opinion is only correct IF AND ONLY IF a thermostat only closes or opens the flow of cooling water to the radiator, or in short it is acting only as a 2-way valve. IT DOES NOT. an engine thermostat is a 3-WAY valve AND it REGULATES the flow of cooling water. a thermostat manifold has 3 ports - one from the pump, one going back to the engine block (by-passing the radiator) and another going to the radiator. a thermostat has 3 positions - fully closed, midway opening and fully open positions. the temperature value stamped on the thermostat is the fully open set point, the opening set point is normally 5-10 degrees lower (depending on type of thermostat material in the bulb). so if the set point is, for example, 175 deg F, then it actually starts to open at between 165-170 deg F. when the coolant temperature is between these 2 temperatures the thermostat is either partially open or partially closed. up to this point D_J is still correct. BUT when the temperature EXCEEDS the set point stamped on the thermostat body (in this example, 175 deg F), this is when D_J's advice no longer hold true. why? because at this point the thermostat is fully open to the radiator port and fully close to the engine port. remember that there are 3 ports, not just 2. if the thermostat were removed then the flow of coolant will always be 50% to the radiator port and 50% to the engine port. the flow is halved. with a thermostat the flow is 0% back to engine and 100% to raditator for cooling when it is at fully open position.

so what is the effect of removing a thermostat? since an engine without a thermostat will ALWAYS have 50% coolant flowing back to the engine (without passing through the radiator) then you effectively DECREASE the cooling capacity of your cooling system. it may not be too apparent for an engine driven at low loads, but try hauling a trailer (or even just loading the trunk and with 5 passengers on board) without thermostats and you will surely find out why the engine needs a thermostat.

well said. sharp, detailed and courteous

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Yes! The best ever explanation as to why a thermostat in there in the first place. Thanks a lot Sir YEBO.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    totally agree....

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Why do we need a t-stat? To preserve our engine. The t-stat makes sure that the engine reaches it's operating temperature pronto, because in a cold engine oil does not circulate well and as we all know no oil means more friction. Your cars and suvs may be running fine today, but through the years wear and tear would catch up on it more sooner than you think. I'll keep my t-stat anytime of the day, it was place there for a reason.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    makisawsaw na nga po...

indeed, well said. but still an opinion. I would correct some items but this is not a critique of the above quoted statement, so I'll proceed to the original query
    but before that... I'm just a Staff Sergeant, Chief. I wouldn't call myself an engineer yet since I'm still a few credits shy from my degree in Mech Eng. I wouldv'e graduated last year but "They" keep sending me to "the sandbox". (service before self HUA!) but I do have my Associates degree in Applied Science and My CCAF degree (Comm College of the Air Force) for my specific carrer field = Heavy Equipment/Special Purpose Vehicle Maintenace. I am Also a certified trainer/mentor for the same field and currently holding 8 ASE certifications which includes advance engine peformance. I might have not been around engines that long but I have extensive experience ranging from small 2 cycle engines to turbo cummins diesel.
    now back to the topic, the gentleman's question was, if it would have any negative effects if he was to drive around without the t-stat. and assuming that he's Ford Lynx will never haul a trailer up hill (nor downhill) I don't see anything wrong with it. originally the first person was saying that "it will never reach it's normal operating temp and not produce max power and not be fuel efficient but now it's "effectively decreasing the cooling capacity of your cooling system". We all have mechanical backgrounds and have varying opinions on different applications but let's try to stick to what is being asked here. we are talking about an Inline 4 Cylinder DOHC 16 Valve VICS engine not a diesel, boxster, miller cycle or a rotary. although there are tons of good information that was shared by numerous sources, I still think that a t-statless lynx would still be a safe and relaible piece of junk (sorry it's a Fix Or Repair Daily ...j/k) This is not Rocket Science folks lets not break everything down to their base elements. (good info tho')
    ...now galynxmo, if you wanna drive your car until you get the part and then install it, I would say go ahead, you should be fine. but if you wanna park your car and render it unserviceable just because of a thermostat? it's your car, you do what ever the hell you want with it. -hth

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    nice come back........heheheeh

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Thermostat removed...help!