New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    OT: I's rather believe D_J than those people who only got his "mechanical expertise" on the internet forums.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ..Are we talking of the same engineers that designed the 4JX1-TC? There are times that engineers forget to understand long term effects of their design.
    And leave the humble mechanic to do task of doing repairs and remedies for their faults.
    nice point, like how many engines did isuzu produced ever since their "birth"... if you divide the number of faulty design over the successful ones, it wouldn't even be 10%. Plus that engine was, in fact, pulled-out of production commercially (except for the Philippine market - discussing this would be another issue).

Now lets' consider "an expert mechanic" who have not yet even designed any engine yet? Then there would be more likely a 50-50% probability of producing a faulty engine (kasi walang thermostat?!? ) should he chose to design and build one.

...Have you experienced a shut closed thermostat? It can blow your cylinder head and render it RIP.
    I haven't experienced that (in my past 20+ years of driving with an average of 4 hours/day driving = that is about 29,200 hours of driving experience at least) because I have the right oido and sentido-common to have my engine properly maintained as per manufacturer recommendations (I do replace thermostat as needed but NEVER REMOVE it - even if a "trusty mechanic" tells me so).

Now if anyone thinks that riding a vehicle is the only job of the car owner and preventive maintenance and regular maintenance is a taboo practice.... then by all means they can remove their car's thermostat, and I wouldn't even care.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    most factory analog gauges are dummy gauges (not that accurate)
    Yep. It's one of the reason temp gauge mods are quite popular with the DIY crowd (e.g. the 'Yota crowd). Land Rover even includes an additional 'black box' on NAS Defenders just to make it read 'normal' most of the time and just shoot you in the leg when it's seconds from disaster.

that would not prevent it from producing it's "max power" (you get power from fuel, air, spark, exhaust flow).
    Try driving something with a ZD30 engine up a hill on cold morning.

It's pretty pointless to argue on this. As you've said, opinions only go so far. Let's just put it up to the TS for the final verdict. That's what public forums are for anyway.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    i agree with you sir otep.. my starex has no power at all when the engine is still cold.. you can really feel the difference..like they say an engine is very much like the human body... try getting up early in the morning during winter and go for a run without warming up your body and see how you feel......

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It only takes ONE wrongly designed HEUI o ring to bring down a reputation of a company that cliams that "Reliability is Everything".

Its easy to place or remove a thermostat if you only use it 4 hours a day. But in diesel engines used 24/7 as gensets or a truck laden with goods in an upgrade at the middle of nowhere without any communication or other motorist for hundreds of miles it could be an unpleasant experience.

Thermostats are only closed for a minute or so. But the obstruction it causes bacause of design is significant.

And besides the issue is not the thermostat but who will you trust for advice or to repair your car the engineer or the humble mechanic?
    Last edited by 4JGtootsie; June 11th, 2007 at 09:19 PM.

naging victim ng stuck thermostat ang liteace 2c-turbo ko, since di naman electronic, ok lang muna alisin ko, working temp naman can easily be reached sa manila hot days->thermostat indicated 86 deg.C.. hahanap pa ako ng pambili at ng piyesang-->dapat bago ang bilhin ng part na to.. has a hard time finding it kasi di lahat ng 2c-turbo same ang thermostat location-->japanese 2c-turbo nakatago between the inlet hose below while some nasa taas.. kaya ayun bent cylinder head.

agree ako sa stock guages mostly di accurate ang info inla, pero di naman nalalayo sa actual kaya kung di naman ka concern masyado, pwede na yung stock guages..pwede naman palitan ang laman nun kung DIY-literate ka... mahirap lang kung digital guage yan...

thermostat sa atin mostly useful sa high cold places sa atin, pero mostly, di ganun ka laki impact nun.

walang t-stat ang lite ko, pero runs fine naman, pag nattrafic lang ng gabi mabilis lumamig ang makina...a/t nalang ang big heat generator ko...baka may bara/madumi lang ulit....

weak charging/greater electrical deman than alternator output can cause also overheating-->di tama ang binibigay na RPM ng fans,e...

check mo din baka kailangan na ng general overhaul ang radiator mo.. major cause din yon.

at tama gamitin mo atleast 50-50 mix of coolant and DISTILLED(not tap) water-->to minimize scaling...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    As has been said before in these forums, we are hear to learn from each other. Everyone's input is welcome. This is just a friendly reminder.

Btw, don't Isuzu engines have safeguards against excessive pressure in the cooling system (e.g. due to a stuck t-stat)? On my Benz a stuck t-stat will not ruin the engine, it will just blow off a rubber plug on the back of the block near the brakemaster.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Yes sir.

Usually the short tube of the turbo coolant return line will be 1st to fail or leak steam. I think its because its the highest water line of the cooling system that is why heat and steam builds up there and the 1st to be deprived of coolant.
    Last edited by 4JGtootsie; June 11th, 2007 at 09:24 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That's also the line that almost failed on my Pajero (with it's 10 year old t-stat still inside). I sold the unit already so I don't know if it's still holding up. I also left the t-belt change up to the new owner.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Idol namin kayo sir.

I hope we can invite you sa EB nami para makilala namin kayo. More power to sir Otep.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Thermostat removed...help!