New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Since the last thread I saw dated from 2003...

Nagpa quote ako sa araneta car accessories, and it might take around 6k to install deadening for the entire floor. It looks like heavy gum (the black goo).

I'm thinking of having it installed, since walang carpet at the moment yung auto. But I'm not sure of its value on a diesel truck that has a noisy engine and bouncy suspension.

Madadampen ba yung engine at transmission noise? How about yung tunog pag tumatalbog na sa rough roads?

and would it be wiser to just put it on the doors if ever?

wala na kasi akong nakikitang flashband at dynamat sa mga big hardware stores, mukha kasing pwedeng i-DIY

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst View Post
    Since the last thread I saw dated from 2003...

Nagpa quote ako sa araneta car accessories, and it might take around 6k to install deadening for the entire floor. It looks like heavy gum (the black goo).

I'm thinking of having it installed, since walang carpet at the moment yung auto. But I'm not sure of its value on a diesel truck that has a noisy engine and bouncy suspension.

Madadampen ba yung engine at transmission noise? How about yung tunog pag tumatalbog na sa rough roads?

and would it be wiser to just put it on the doors if ever?

wala na kasi akong nakikitang flashband at dynamat sa mga big hardware stores, mukha kasing pwedeng i-DIY

scharnhorst,
    the sound deadening which is tarpaper like of around 3mm serves more than sound deadening. it insulates the cab from heat, seals the floor panel which is subject to abrasion and corrosion, and of course to reduce the road noise transmitted inside the cab. it does not work alone, on top of it you have to have carpet, another sound insulation usually of recycled rubber foam. from underneath, if it is equipped with a diesel engine, it will usually have a heat shield and they are usually insylated further by the fibreglas between the heatshield and the underside of the floor pan.
    jick

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    thanks for the info sir.

Meron atang OEM na sound deadening, although manipis lang (looks like a thin layer of gum under the foam. I also noticed that the foam on top of the sound deadener, especially on the passenger's side is almost gone. Any suggestions to remedy this? kelangan na bang mag pa re-upholster?

I'm wondering if installing additional sound deadening will reduce the engine/transmission noise significantly, since this is my main concern.

And if so, could anybody recommend any shops for this?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    thanks for the info sir.

Meron atang OEM na sound deadening, although manipis lang (looks like a thin layer of gum under the foam. I also noticed that the foam on top of the sound deadener, especially on the passenger's side is almost gone. Any suggestions to remedy this? kelangan na bang mag pa re-upholster?

I'm wondering if installing additional sound deadening will reduce the engine/transmission noise significantly, since this is my main concern.

And if so, could anybody recommend any shops for this?
    scharnhorst,
    you can try using urethane similar to the sprayed on or brushed on or rollered on to the floor deck. some of the bedliners for trucks are available this way. i have used this on a caravan with a rusting roof to seal off the leaks and painted it over with silicone roof paint. if you are not particular of the gloss since it is covered with carpet, this is an inexpensive option. it is fluid while being applied thus it goes to any curves, cracks and crevices but it stays permanent.
    jick

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    sir jick,

I guess this also serves as a deadener?

edit: pwede pala i-roll on or paint.

thanks.
    Last edited by scharnhorst; October 4th, 2009 at 08:39 AM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    sir jick,

I guess this also serves as a deadener?

edit: pwede pala i-roll on or paint.

thanks.
    scharnhorst,
    that is exactly the point, if you have the time and don't want to spend the money when you can do it yourself and do it the way you meticulously, do it, and guarantee that you covered the vulnerable areas as you see fit then just take the time. the liquid bedliner is applied with a paint roller or a brush, just mask the areas you don't want it to be. read and follow instructions as most of us don't. the urethane expands when it is exposed to air.
    jick

Sound deadening - is it worth it?