New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yun Honda Civic ko has exactly the same problem as your Avanza. Ganoon rin ang itsura. It was hit by a portable basketball court blown by the winds of the last typhoon that struck Manila.

The windshield clearly states that its laminated. Am having it replaced at Aguila once the insurance paperwork is done.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Eto nga pala ang picture ng crack last month:

3. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Just recently I was hit by a projectile along SLEX and it caused a crack on my Focus' windshield.

A lot of people have advised me to get tempered glass instead of laminated glass for my windshield. I even referred to this thread and reading each participant's reply (particularly that of GH's). But after reading a couple of articles online, I've decided to instead get laminated glass.

An accident like what I had would have caused my windshield to explode to bits if it were tempered and it may not have completely stopped the object (and may have injured my passenger).

What Is The Difference Between Tempered Glass And Laminated Glass?
    Tempered vs. Laminated Glass - Crashworthiness
    Auto Glass: Laminated Versus Tempered
    What is Tempered Glass?
    Is a windshield for a car made of Tempered Glass? | Ale

I also checked all our other vehicles (a Mazda 6, Montero Sport, Tucson, Impreza, Swift, Jazz, Starex) and they all indicate using laminated glass for their windshields and tempered glass for the side windows.

Aguila quoted me 9.5k for the laminated windshield for the Focus
    ComGlasCo AG quoted me 4k for the same, and
    Ford Global City quoted me 33k for their OEM laminated windshield.

Since my insurance recently expired and I have not been able to renew, I guess I will be going to either Aguila or ComGlasCo AG for the replacement.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Tempered ang OEM so better get that one.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    afaik, laminated ang windshield and tempered ang window glass. ganun sa vios, rolla, civic and jazz dito.

para yun pag may front end collision eh di kakalat ang glass sa mukha/mata to lessen injury

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Tempered ang OEM so better get that one.
    Yes, for the side windows. But for most units I drive, the windshield is laminated safety glass (it's indicated on the label). Especially for air bag equipped units because the laminated windshield is what redirects the passenger side airbag towards the passenger as it deploys from the top of the dashboard.

Tempered glass would shatter in such a scenario.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Just pointing out, the glass is tempered glass with a layer of plastic film. The glass shattered into bits but held in place by the plastic film.
    Sir gh, if there is a layer of plastic, it's already laminated safety glass. Madami lang talagang terms and hindi gano standardized ang nomenclature ng car parts.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Yes, for the side windows. But for most units I drive, the windshield is laminated safety glass (it's indicated on the label). Especially for air bag equipped units because the laminated windshield is what redirects the passenger side airbag towards the passenger as it deploys from the top of the dashboard.

Tempered glass would shatter in such a scenario.
    I stand corrected, yes for side windows it is tempered but laminated for the front so get that one.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

Laminated glasses are a safety feature, so I would not want to sacrifice the safety to go cheaper...

10. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    Laminated glasses are a safety feature, so I would not want to sacrifice the safety to go cheaper...
    i replaced my windshield, and it's all wavy when you look to the sides.. bakit ganun?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Safety Laminated Glass or Tempered Glass