New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Mga bro Thank You very Much for your replies

Malaking tulong po yung mga replies niyo sa akin

Anywayz nakakuha na ako ng mechanic.....so far he's been showing a lot of knowledge sa mga cars.......He worked for Toyota b4(Nakalimutan ko yung branch nung Casa) and recently he worked for a Talyer in Baguio which specializes on Korean Cars(Kia, Hyundai and MB100's).......So basically All around siya.......Japanese and Korean cars pwede

Oo nga pala marunong din siya sa Electrical and Airconditioning system ng mga cotse........

Oh and btw I'm planning to accept body repairs and paint jobs......May nakuha na rin akong pintor, dati siyang pintor ng Toyota Bel-air......I've seen some of his works b4.......And I must say.......Magaling siya.....Latero nalang ang kulang ko, although maraming nagprepresent sa akin eh......Maybe in the next few days may makukuha na rin ako......

I'm also planning to include detailing in mga talyer.......right now may kausap po akong dating employee ng Meguiars?(tama ba spelling?)........

Any more tips and suggestions?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    how big is your place? advice lang, try to concentrate on one specific area muna if you don't have a huge place. remember, painting has to be done by itself. you don't want any overspray of a car being painted to land on a customer who is just there for an oil change. if you have 800-1000sqm baka kaya na all in one yung talyer. but anything less than 500 and sasakit ulo mo trying to fit all of the customers in there at once.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    question.. is it REALLY worth it to have a car repair business?

from the point of view of someone who goes to this shop and that (and have my share of both good and bad experiences) it seems that car repair is not that lucrative a business.

the problem of most pinoys is that they are really cheapskate bastards (me included). so they want the lowest price possible. correct me if i'm wrong, most of the car repair shop income would come from labor and routine maintenance e.g. oil changes, because the markup on parts can't be THAT great (maybe 10% to 20% at most, this is normal of all box-pushing businesses).

so to get decent revenue, you have to (1) have a lot of "routine" customers whom you can service quickly and which doesn't cause any problems; (2) repairs should be of the cheap, garden-variety type.

example: you charge someone 2,000 for an oil change, of which i guess 300 would be labor. this takes 30 minutes.

how about: someone wants a clutch change (a dirty, labor-intensive job). the materials cost is probably 6,000 so let's say you make 600 on that. plus labor, let's say 1,000 (is this too little? too much?) so your total net is 1,600 but it takes 5 hours.

so obviously, changing oil is more "lucrative" than changing a clutch.

and then the customer from hell comes along with his car which is liable to break anything at the drop of a hat. na last-touch ka pa. although it MAY not be your fault that something broke while your guy was working on it, the customer is well and truly pissed. what do you do?

and then those people with new cars and presumably more money to spend all go to the casa since they have a warranty. so you get stuck with the clunkers.

OTOH if you go the expensive-detailing route and the expensive-tuning route, you'll have very few customers, although they'll all blow a wad when they come in your door. but the rule of business is you make more money on lots of small transactions than on a few big transactions.

comments?

(it would seem to me that, unless you're really a car fanatic and love to tinker with cars, a food business would be less risky and have a shorter ROI than car repair)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Planning To Open up a Talyer.......