New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sonjeffrey View Post
    The main function of these Heated Oxygen Sensors are just to read whether your system is mean or rich.
    Yes, the oxygen sensor will detect whether my system is mean or rich. If it becomes too rich, it will send a signal to my LPG SGI system computer so that it will shift the car to gasoline mode automatically

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Information was taken from BACKYARD Workshop..
    Peace!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by webmiester View Post
    I was told that mine doesnt have one. O2 sensors became standard for Lancers in year 2000, before that, they didnt come with any although the engine and fuel injection system is the same. I dont know if the box is the same, however, I did install a new computerized LPG system which can make use of the information when it is on LPG mode. KayaThanks so much. even if my old box cant use it, my new one can.

If it can be installed anywhere in the exhaust manifold (because my car doesnt have a catalytic converter), then I can just get drill a hole anywhere there and install it there right?
    it doesnt matter if your engine is a carborated or mpfi system, as long as it has cat then it should have 02 sensor.correction, not anywhere in the exhaust manifold but anywhere in the exhaust system.anyway some cars has 1 o2 sensor, sometimes they have 2 but most cars today has 3 in a single pipe exhaust system or maybe more depending on an exhaust design.this 3 sensor have different function in one system.1st sensor monitors how raw the fuel mixture coming out from the chamber before it goes to pre-cat,for start up only and sometimes it also help for early activation of egr.2nd sensor monitors either rich or lean air fuel mixture after pre-cat and before cat.3rd sensor monitors the efficiency of the cat converter.if you vehicle is equipped with cat and 1 o2 sensor,it is consider as the 2nd sensor but if your vehicle is not equipped with cat,why try to put one.its nonesense.no offense but its true.its there for emission purposes.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Why not add emhanced EVAP instead of HO2S???

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    FACTS About O2 sensors and why Heated Oxygen sensor??
    [SIZE=3]Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Traditionally Oxygen sensor input has been used to calculate fuel trim when vehicle is in closed loop. Oxygen sensors still perform this function; however, to meet the emission regulations, GM uses oxygen sensors to almost monitor the catalyst.[/SIZE][SIZE=3]The emission regulations require that the vehicle enter closed loop sooner, as well. This because a vehicle that operates in close loop will produce less emissions than if it is operating in open loop. Unheated Oxygen Sensors may take longer to become activated. Therefore, they are slower to go into closed loop. HO2S are being used more frequently. The heater warms the sensor to help achieve activation temperature sooner allowing the system to enter and maintain closed loop status.[/SIZE]

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    It isnt necessarily that you will only need o2 sensors if you have cat...no relationship at all..
    [SIZE=2]The purpose of CATALYTIC CONVERTERS, esp the TWC(Three-Way catalytic-converter composed of precious metals such as Palladium, Platinum, and Rhodium) is to convert the unburned hydrocarbon (HC), carbon monoxide (CO) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) which result from the combustion of gasoline. When the catalyst is working properly, the unburned hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide are oxidized by combining with oxygen. This oxidation forms water vapor (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2). The oxides of nitrogen are reduced to nitrogen and oxygen. The HO2s that you see before(pre-catalyst) and after (post catalyst), are just mainly to tell that the TWC is still working good. the smaller the difference between the readings of the precatalyst HO2S and postcatalyst HO2S means that the TWC is doing tis job well. [/SIZE]
    Observe that sometimes in the morning when you start your car, water comes out from your exhaust pipe, TWC is responsible for that.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Sirs,
    What is the difference between a catalytic converter and DPF?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Why add o2 sensor by the way? It will only mess up your system.
    if ECM/PCM was not designed to take data form HO2S1 or HO2S2 if you have cat conv, what's the use?
    The main function of these Heated Oxygen Sensors are just to read whether your system is mean or rich. and from that, your ECM/PCM will give an output to the injectors, MAF, etc to control your fuel/air distribution. If the ECM/PCM is not designed to read data from HO2s, so why add it.

Note: If your modules are ready for H02s, on installation, be sure that no leak on the fittings of the sensor.. It will cause wrong reading of this sensor.and again will mess your system, and you might suspect that you have a vacuum leak before your intake manifold.
    correction po sir, its LEAN.. not "mean". LEAN=more air / RICH=more fuel.. pag "mean"=masama itsura.. parang galit.

Information was taken from BACKYARD Workshop..
    Peace!
    LOLz!

FACTS About O2 sensors and why Heated Oxygen sensor??
    [SIZE=3]Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Traditionally Oxygen sensor input has been used to calculate fuel trim when vehicle is in closed loop... Oxygen sensors still perform this function; ....however, to meet the emission regulations, GM uses oxygen sensors to almost monitor the catalyst.[/SIZE][SIZE=3]The emission regulations require that the vehicle enter closed loop sooner, as well. This because a vehicle that operates in close loop will produce less emissions than if it is operating in open loop. Unheated Oxygen Sensors may take longer to become activated. Therefore, they are slower to go into closed loop. HO2S are being used more frequently. The heater warms the sensor to help achieve activation temperature sooner allowing the system to enter and maintain closed loop status.[/SIZE]

so why did you say that you dont need an O2 sensor in the first place? all cars with an Electronic Carburetor system & Electronic Fuel Injection system must (and will) have O2 sensors wether if its a Japanese, American, or European car. since the only way the ECU can adjust its A/F (Air & Fuel) mixture is to have a signal from the Oxygen Sensor. therefore, having a O2 sensor is very important. specially if you want your car engine to run safe & efficient.

anywayz, I already know and understand some of the info you posted here (mainly the "basic" functions of the CAT, O2 and HO2 systems.. I learned that in our Auto class in High School!) but if your telling us that an O2 sensor on a modern car is not imortant (wether if its a OBD-ZERO *1979-1990*, OBD-ONE *1991-1996*, OBD-TWO *1997-Present*) then that is completely retarded.

aite, peace.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    KBR,
    Sorry, i mean LEAN..
    Hmmmm... you're great kasi sa high school mo pa natutunan yan... anyway... High school pa lang din naman ako ngayon... LoL...
    FYI may mga engines na may ECU/ECM na walang O2 sensor, and its up for you to find out....
    By the way if your opinion that all cars with electronic carb/ mpi/ efi/sfi ... Then how come that webmiester's car doesnt have one???

Peace din po sir!!!

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gentlemen,
    I really like this topic. I wouldn't want it to be closed by the mods because of egos running loose. Let us stick to facts and set aside all the rest.

Is it possible that KBR is seeing it at gasoline engine prespective while sonjeffrey on prespective of diesels? Or gas and diesels are the same?
    Last edited by 4JGtootsie; December 23rd, 2007 at 06:05 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Oxygen Sensor help