New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    btw, (ot) how long should the break-in period be on a newly overhauled engine?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    AFAIK, you should be gentle on it all the way to the next oil change.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed
    Una, since sa casa pinagawa, i sincerely doubt na inoverhaul yan hehe. They probably just changed some filters, probably changed a couple of valves or so...

But since it's only an 03, I don't think much damage can result from that sort of neglect if nothing was wrong with the car (no leaks or ignition problem).

But unless the price is ridiculously low, I dont think it's worth it.
    hehe agree! malamang yung nag-ojt sa kanila yung nagbuo ng makina mo. hehehe!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix
    hehe agree! malamang yung nag-ojt sa kanila yung nagbuo ng makina mo. hehehe!
    That's quite possible.

I once helped out a friend who had his Toyota engine sieze on him at 50 kph. The engine ran out of oil because it had a leak and the owner somehow forgot his morning routine of pouring in a quart of oil. Good thing he was quick enough to punch the clutch in, allowing him to regain control of the vehicle.

Well, to make an already long story short, I took out the sump, sprayed some WD-40 on to the crankshaft and underneath the pistons. I also took out the sparkplugs and sprayed some (not too much) into the cylinders. A few cranks and the engine started right up. (The engine previously would not budge, even when push started in first gear.) If he hadn't only broke a conrod, he would have been able to drive the car much longer before he finally had to switch to a newer one.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Speedyfix & Shadetree -> are you guys sure? i mean, possible ba ang sinabi nyo about casa?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Our club's trusted mechanic used to be a supervisor at the casa. Since overhauls take a long time especially because it entails a lot of cleaning the casa more often than not assigns overhauls to cheaper OJTs. Since you cannot see your car being worked on how sure are you that they really replaced the parts they bill you for? There are also horror stories about some casa mechanics swapping orig parts with replacement or surplus parts.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    seminaristakuno -> yah, you're right. i also heard bad stories about casa people. only now i heard that their ojt personnel might be the one who fixed my car. if ever man, sana na-overhauled tlga yung altis.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vilaern
    Speedyfix & Shadetree -> are you guys sure? i mean, possible ba ang sinabi nyo about casa?
    Well, I don't know about how things are done at the casa, but what I said about the seized engine is true.

A similar thing was experienced by yet another friend. He's a mechanic and was called upon to retrieve a Hilux with a seized rear diff. The diff had been leaking oil and had finally run out of lube after a year or so of neglect.

All he did was fill the diff up with gear oil, gave the pickup a bump backwards to unseize the gears, and drove it the whole 30 kms down to the shop.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    i think natuyuan ng oil yan or something sa radiator kaya kuamtok yun makina para ioverhaul. Dapat regular PMS sa casa or kahit sa mekaniko lang regular checkup. Pwede nga simple DIY lang

10. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    yup pretty sure. normally, casa employs mostly newly grad mechanics and only very few seasoned master mechanics.

problem is, when you see the volume of the traffic of casa, you wonder how the master mechanics can keep up with every little thing that the people under them do.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Overhauled after effect...