New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    I just noticed that there is an oil stain on the rear axle of my vehicle. Its just a small pat on the axle itself and it is not leaking to the ground or in great quantities. It looks a bit dry already and NOT the kind that is glowing (a sign of fresh oil leak).

Question: Is this normal for a few months old vehicle? Btw, its a Fortuner.

Below is the diagram for an axle. Just to make sure, everyone gets what I'm talking about. :D I saw the oil stain near the bottom part of the yellow circle.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Baka ininspect sa casa at di na-tighten na mabuti? There's a screw at the bottom of that yellow circle (that's your rear differential), check that the paint marks on that screw are aligned or unmolested. If they are, just bring it to the casa, whine to the SA, and have them tighten it again... and put a bit of loctite there so it won't leak anymore.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    They check that during PMS, they remove the fill bolt and put their fingers in. Unfortunately, during the process of pulling out their finger, some of the oil comes along and they wipe it on the edge of the fill hole. Some of the oil will then 'run' down the outer housing of the differential.

Also, when they top up the rear axle, some oil will also overflow to the diff housing.

This becomes more apparent when you drive the vehicle as the dirt, dust, etc. from the environment stick better to the oil coated parts than to the uncoated areas of the rear diff/axle.

I suggest you give the area a thorough cleaning with detergent and lots of water. Then observe if the the 'leak' will come back.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Do they check the rear diff, even on the 1st 1,000kms check-up? Bec. that's the only PMS I've had so far.

It would be a bit tough to clean it though w/o the help of a hydraulic lift from the gas station.

I'll check if the factory paint marks are still aligned with the body and lid, first. The last resort is to have it checked at the casa.

I'm disappointed if ever there's a leak bec. of their careless workmanship. Imagine this is already a Toyota owned casa. Toyota Bicutan.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's not that big a deal. Gaya ng sabi ni Boss Otep, it might have leaked during the inspection. If it's not a "live" leak and there are no grinding sounds back there, then there's no problem. Magpa-full body under-wash ka nalang sa gas station then observe.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    That's normal it's called "weeping", even if the bolt was never taken out you would still see a stain. As long as it doesn't look like this of course. http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...55_31_full.jpg

Btw that yellow circle is your rear differential.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    On my Kia Besta, they check the diff at every PMS. And they drain-refill it every 20,000kms. Grabe parang full size truck ang PMS schedule ng Besta sa dami ng items. hehehe.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    May 2005

This is the pic of my axle's oil stain.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ah... where's the inspection bolt? On the other side? That does look kind of worrying... parang di sealed yung gasket. Have you had anything hit the underside there (although mukhang hindi)... kung hindi, baka warranty concern na yun.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    nasa kabilang side nga ang level plug...
    na try nyo na ba check kung equal ang higpit ng mga lahat bolt ng axle

masyado madami ata stain na

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Oil Stain on the live axle (rear) ?