New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    hi guys. maybe you can give me some advise.

my kia sedona has ran 45k km. and now it only shift to 3rd gear. ayaw mag overdrive. i tried playing the overdrive switch but no success. wheels recommends to ovehaul the transmission which will cost 60k.

it difficult for me to accept that the trans need and overhaul cuz first to third gear are fine. no slippage. hope you guys can help. thanks

mintoy

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Baka niloloko ka lang, switch problem lang yan. Though I would defer to the experts. I could be totally wrong.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    45,000 kms? Overhaul na daw?

Nagpalit ka na ba ng ATF?

Pacheck mo muna sa ibang mekaniko.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Considering all basic ATF...
    - measuring while engine is running
    - right ATF type
    - ATF changed/new
    - filters/strain/magnets cleaned

your Sedona has a kick-down cable right? try slacking it up to half and test it...

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Kung 45k pa lang tinakbo, under warranty pa dapat yan (not unless the car is over 3 years old). Most manufacturers nowadays offer 100k/3 years warranty (whichever comes first), naman di ba?

I'm quite skeptical of shops who suggest an immediate overhaul of A/T systems. I have a bad experience kasi on this (pero buti na lang hindi ko kinagat), otherwise I would have been 32k poorer

6. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    yup. ive changed the atf. i used AC delco. still not improvement.

i assume the overdrive switch works cuz the indicator light lights up in the dash board.

our sedona is more that 3 years old. so wala na sa warranty.

will get a second opinion from another shop.

thanks

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    you may try this put the car in ignition and then try to have some one switch the overdrive switch on and off and then you can go somewhere near the transmission and listen closely for a solenoid like tick sound when the switch is pressed on or off you should hear a tic soound so you know that the solenoid does switch on or off if you dont then hope it is just either a cut wire or your solenoid is dead, any way if you want to have it over hauled it should cost you about 20k there is a guy with the name of atoy in cainta it appears he used to work for mitsubishi and he seems very well versed with auto trans his number is 2403231 he seems to know what he is talking about cause last year i bought a kia pregio matic from an acquantance and it did not have any over drive so i ask around i was led to him upon showing him he immediately told me aba okay ha naka mitsubishi transmission ka na wala na ecu and upon visual inspection he said kaya wala over drive my solenoid was not connected not the tranny is working ok at least i can run up to 70km/hr at a 2k rpm which without overdrive i would only be doing 50km/hr at 2k and really have to rev it up to 3k just to do 80km/hr i have also asked him about overhauls he said its 20 k he takes care of the parts usually o rings and solenoids and it should last you a good 2 years again cause according to him it is the o rings that give way due to the fact it is in atf and heat and all so they tend to harden and then lose seal so whether you use a new rebuilt trans everyday or not that would be the cause of the trans failing or bad performance due to the o rings hardening up .

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    mintoy, try to have the thermosensor located at the lower part of the radiator cap housing checked.

the sensor has three prongs that sends signals to the following:
    1. radiator fan
    2. temperature gauge
    3. computer module for the A/T

if the sensor is not working anymore, the A/T computer module will interpret the absence of a reading that the engine is still cold -- consequently, it will prevent the transmission from going into overdrive.

btw, that part cost me P500.-- at goodgear. HTH and hope that this post did not arrive too late.

no overdrive with my sedona