New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    hi guys -

i thought my defogger was broken, pero nung tinignan ko, natanggal lang pala yung isang connection. it's a two-pronged metal something stuck sa rear windshield.

i tried putting it back with electrical tape and tested. gumana. kaya lang, natatanggal pa rin. any ideas how to permanently attach it? super glue is out of the question kasi hindi magdidikit yung contact points. i'm thinking of glue gun or silicon.

thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    baka pwede soldering iron

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    sa sobramg init ng soldering iron matutunaw lang yan, wag po

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    sa sobramg init ng soldering iron matutunaw lang yan, wag po

5. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    hindi kasi pwedeng sa gitna ng contact points lagyan ng adhesive. if that will be the case, there won't be any contact between the two surfaces to close the circuit. kaya nga gumana yung electrical tape and kaya ayaw ko sana gumamit ng super glue.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Take it to a glass shop that specializes in rear windshields. Better have them do it and have them commit the mistake (and replace at their expense if so) than you break your own car and pay out of pocket money to have it replaced.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    *mbeige
    nyak. sobra na ata yun sir. will try to dab a very small amount of superglue muna. yung hindi ma-coat yung entire surface. hopefully it works

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Mahirap talagang i-solder yan ... the copper strip will easily peel-off because of the heat. And once you crease the strip, it'll be hard to straighten it out because it easily rips.

Ordinary glue is no good either, because of its nonconductive property. Even if you don't glue the entire contact surface, there will be little contact pressure ... in other words, the contact point might heat up and burn.

There are repair kits for defoggers, usually made of conductive paint. You can also use repair kits for keyboard foils. These kits usually cost $10 or more. If you can't find one in the Philippines and the cost of having it done professionally is cheaper (against importing a kit), I'd go with mbeige's advice.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    got pics?

conductive paint may not apply in your case because it is not a "broken element" problem but rather, if i'm not mistaken, a "loose connection" problem ... in which case you need to fix the loose connector

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post
    conductive paint may not apply in your case because it is not a "broken element" problem but rather, if i'm not mistaken, a "loose connection" problem ... in which case you need to fix the loose connector
    My bad ... thanks, kinyo. Somehow what stuck to my mind when typing was a cut in the strip. Loose lang pala. No, the conductive paint is definitely not for loose connections. Anyway, a loose connection is a lot easier to fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
natanggal na defogger