New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ^ that's about right bro

ako din di ko na alam kasi hindi nanaman umabot iyong mga models na nag precede sa ef dito sa atin.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by brushless View Post
    (I've posted this on The Pitstop Cafe/Miscellaneous Talk/Bakit ka badtrip today? I think I'm already off topic there, LOL. So, I'll just post it here.)

I have a 17 year old Honda Civic 1.6. It's a very reliable car and I never had any major problems with it. The reason for this thread is to let people know what it takes and how much it will cost to "recondition" the car to almost brand new condition. At least, realistically to 70% brand new condition. Honestly, I don't really know so much about car parts. I needed to burn the midnight oil to research more about the Civic's suspension system and the engine. I've also downloaded diagrams and have researched all the parts and what it does so I will have better knowledge what the mechanics are telling me and instruct them what parts needs replaced.

Being a budget conscious person, I will not consider casa or any car service centers like Servitek as I want to keep the cost down as much as possible.

A friend recommended an auto supply store in Pasay. The mechanics there are freelancers - young dudes in their 20's who do this for a living. I'm surprised how skilled they are. I had all my suspension system replaced (front, rear, left, right) with brand new parts and some parts machined - bushings, ball joints (upper, lower), control arms, lateral arm, sway bar bushings, tie rod, brand new KYB Shock Absorbers (front and rear), new boots, etc. Everything. I also had the power steering rack assembly machined and reconditioned as well as the power steering pump.

For the engine, I had the throttle body cleaned as well as the Idle Air Control Valve. I had the distributor seal and o-ring replaced. The valve cover has a new gasket as well as the spark plug tube seals. I replaced all the spark plugs with new ones, as well as the engine oil, air filter and oil filter. I also had the brakes and clutch bleed, filled with new brake fluids.

I had my headlights changed as well as the bulb. All brand new. The 4 handles are new as well including the gas door.

Parts and labor: Around P62,000 (ouch!!)
    Time done: 9 hours (whole day)

I can't believe I've spent this much already on my latest accounting and I'm starting to get so stressed up. Even on budget, I managed to shell out this much!

Next is the A/C system. The compressor has been bothering me because it sounds weird, like the bearings are about to freeze, although, the A/C is cold as the North Pole. I brought it to an A/C shop and they told me it's impossible to repair it because the damage is inside and there's nothing they can do. So, I have to buy a brand new compressor. I agreed after bargaining. In this package includes cleaning, full charge freon, flushing, labor, etc. I asked whether they have surplus, so, at least it will be much cheaper. But, they don't recommend it because, since it's surplus, it won't last.

Package price: P13,800 (ouch!!)
    Time done: 2 hours

Next is the wheel alignment. This needs to be done at a service center (Good Year). While at the service center, I learnt that they also offer radiator flush, lavramon package. I availed of this as a preventive maintenance. When the mechanic performed the lavramon flush, they discovered that the head assembly of the radiator which is made of plastic is already brittle. They showed me the plastic brittles and I broke it like as if it is made of biscuit. Damn! The radiator is fine, except for this plastic head. Repairing it and buying a brand new one doesn't have a lot of difference in terms of price. So, I had no choice but to go ahead and buy a brand new one. They also advised me to get a brand new thermostat as well as the radiator cap. I also had the ignition timing and timing belt checked for preventive maintenance. But, the good news is, during the lavramon flushing, there's not much debris and dirt found. It's relatively clean!

The whole package: P8,200 (ouch!!)
    Time done: 5 hours

For my DIY:

- Trunk board: I will buy a plywood and cut this to shape with an oscillator. I'll glue the fabric to the board.
    - Windows: My polishing pads have just arrived which I ordered from Lazada. I'm still waiting for the Permatex pumice lotion from Lazada. Maybe, I'll get this by Monday. I already have the Turtle Wax polishing compound. Once everything is on hand, I will mix the polishing compound with the pumice lotion and start buffing all the window scratches, especially around the sticker area and the wiper blade. This will be labor intensive.
    - Engine: The engine will get a full degreasing and brushing and then pressure wash. After that, I'll spray a plastic trim restorer and buff it to shine.
    - The plastic interior, trims, carpets and seats will get a lot of brushing. I'll simply attach a round brush head to the drill so I can clean it much faster.
    - Power windows: The door windows doesn't work properly. It's stuck. I'll repair this myself by lubricating some parts. The rear power windows are totally shot. I'll check the fuse, motor and the wiring to see if it needs replacing.
    - Wheel Arch plastic liner: I'll remove this myself and repaint it.
    - Plastic push rivets/pins: I'm still waiting for delivery from Lazada. I'll replace all missing plastic pins especially on the trunk area at the sides as well as the bumpers.
    - Tint and old stickers: Done! I've removed everything with a DIY steamer.

I was planning to buy a new set of rims. But, I decided to forgo it due to the ballooning cost. I'll have it repainted instead. I still need to repair my sagging front doors. I hope I can find someone in Pasay or Evangelista to have it repaired. I still need to replace all my weather strips from the doors and headlights.

I've yet to buy the following:

- 0xygen sensor
    - New distributor cap
    - New Spark plugs wires (blue)
    - Change transmission oil

After all of these are done, it's straight for the paint booth. I'll have the valve cover painted as well as the exhaust manifold heat shield. Not sure whether I'll have the interior parts of the car painted. The underside of the car will also get a new undercoating. It will also get rust proofed.

Price: Don't ask. I'm already so flustered and stressed.

So, there you go folks. This is what will happen to you when you try to recondition your old car. Lmao!

At least, it's a good satisfying project when you see your hard work all put into one piece of art!

Next project: Turbo Charger LMAO! (in my dreams)
    anu po makina nyo?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boxtwo View Post
    anu po makina nyo?
    Put a K20 on it. Kaysa yung K20 sa EK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12