New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Im interested in changing the muffler of my Jazz, and the only shop that i know that sells mufflers is NODALOS in Motortown Alabang. They were selling one of those sports muffler to me for 4.5k

My budget to have this done is only 5k..

I want to get those Chambered mufflers,so that it wont make that much noise.

The questions are. .

1. Will there be any significant changes with the cars performance. (i have a K&N Cone type filter already installed)
    2. Gas Consumption will decrese or increase?
    3. Are there any bolt on mufflers i could use instead?
    (So that once something goes wrong i could jjust put the stock back on and not void the warranty )
    4. Any other shops you guys know about?South lang hehe
    5. How much will it cost me?
    6. Any other muffler alternatives?

Thanks for your inputs in advance.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bougartt View Post
    1. Will there be any significant changes with the cars performance. (i have a K&N Cone type filter already installed)
    2. Gas Consumption will decrese or increase?
    3. Are there any bolt on mufflers i could use instead?
    (So that once something goes wrong i could jjust put the stock back on and not void the warranty )
    4. Any other shops you guys know about?South lang hehe
    5. How much will it cost me?
    6. Any other muffler alternatives?
    1. Significant changes... Not very much, not until you change the exhaust manifold and catalytics to something freer flowing. It'll be slightly faster, but it will mostly just sound faster. The biggest change is by installing a good original header...

Most original headers give you between 5 hp (with stock muffler and intake... like I've got... dyno-tested, too) to 8 hp (with aftermarket pipes and air-filter). They also make most engines suffer from heat-soak in traffic and hard running, but since your exhaust manifold is under the firewall, it shouldn't be a big problem.

Without doing anything else, changing a muffler on a stock engine and exhaust will net you anywhere from -1 hp to +3 hp. The Jazz's stock set-up is so good that it's hard to get meaningful numbers without proper parts matching.

2. Gas consumption shouldn't change as long as you drive the same way.

3. Are you 1.3 or 1.5? I'm not sure if the 1.5 muffler is bigger than the 1.3's, but if it is, that'd be bolt on.

4. Fremuff, on Osmena Highway (South Super Highway extension), between Quirino Avenue and Buendia Avenue somewhere, I think.

5. You can possibly get a secondhand stock muffler from a bigger engine/car for under ten thousand. Most cheap mufflers cost 3.5k to 5k... but the cheaper, thinner ones sound horrible. Secondhand "JASMA" mufflers cost around 5k, sound great (for straight through), but you should check for damage when browsing (you can find lots of these on the car shop strip at Evangelista, also in Makati).

6. No chambered muffler will give you much in terms of power. If you want a mellow sound and good flow, a straight-through muffler is the way to go. The bigger, the better... best if you get a JASMA.
    Last edited by niky; March 22nd, 2007 at 12:21 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    1. Significant changes... Not very much, not until you change the exhaust manifold and catalytics to something freer flowing. It'll be slightly faster, but it will mostly just sound faster. The biggest change is by installing a good original header...

Most original headers give you between 5 hp (with stock muffler and intake... like I've got... dyno-tested, too) to 8 hp (with aftermarket pipes and air-filter). They also make most engines suffer from heat-soak in traffic and hard running, but since your exhaust manifold is under the firewall, it shouldn't be a big problem.

Without doing anything else, changing a muffler on a stock engine and exhaust will net you anywhere from -1 hp to +3 hp. The Jazz's stock set-up is so good that it's hard to get meaningful numbers without proper parts matching.

2. Gas consumption shouldn't change as long as you drive the same way.

3. Are you 1.3 or 1.5? I'm not sure if the 1.5 muffler is bigger than the 1.3's, but if it is, that'd be bolt on.

4. Fremuff, on Osmena Highway (South Super Highway extension), between Quirino Avenue and Buendia Avenue somewhere, I think.

5. You can possibly get a secondhand stock muffler from a bigger engine/car for under ten thousand. Most cheap mufflers cost 3.5k to 5k... but the cheaper, thinner ones sound horrible. Secondhand "JASMA" mufflers cost around 5k, sound great (for straight through), but you should check for damage when browsing (you can find lots of these on the car shop strip at Evangelista, also in Makati).

6. No chambered muffler will give you much in terms of power. If you want a mellow sound and good flow, a straight-through muffler is the way to go. The bigger, the better... best if you get a JASMA.
    Thanks so much sir Niky with that very informative reply.

So wait, if i change my muffler, i could get -1 hp?? I dont want that to happen..What muffler should i use
    then to avoid this from happening?
    Last edited by bougartt; March 25th, 2007 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hehehehe. trust me....stick to your stock mufflers....

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    even the most well engineered muffler will give you little or no gain all by itself. the reason is that the stock downpipe and manifold restrict any gains...

the reason people get an aftermarket muffler without anything else is to make their car sound louder (note - i didn't say 'faster' :hihihi: ) based on your post that isn't your only goal.

if you want to get a performance gain you can feel you have to modify the whole breathing system - intake, header, and full exhaust including downpipe. you can't just mix and match either - you have to find parts that are dyno tested and proven to work together with your specific car.

finally, if you have a 1.3 don't expect huge gains either - those engines typically don't generate enough backpressure for the stock breathing system to be THAT restrictive.

Mufflers