New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The bigger the can (the body) of the muffler, and the longer, the mellower the sound. Big mufflers also tend to sound more bassy than small ones.

JASMA - certified Japanese spec mufflers. In other words, they meet sound restrictions for the market there and can be legally equipped in Japan. Buying a JASMA muffler assures you that the sound will be nice, as long as it's brand new. Some secondhands have a tendency to delaminate or rust, depending on the brand (some brands are notorious for this).

Fireball - a popular muffler style. It's a brand name.

Free-flow - a straight through muffler. This gives the most power, but it's also the loudest. Most aftermarket mufflers are free-flow.

Chambered - mutes exhaust sound by making it travel between chambers inside the muffler. The Exhaust loses energy, both sound energy and kinetic energy, from bouncing off of walls and reversing or changing direction. This sacrifices top-end power and some response to give you a relatively quiet exhaust note. Stock chambered mufflers are very quiet. Some aftermarket chambered mufflers are quiet at low rpm, but are louder at high rpms, though not as loud as free-flow mufflers.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Yup. Pero not that much. Ang mangyayari sa resonator is it'll remove the harshness from your exhaust note.

Best you can do is add a resonator and a silencer. Pero your car will be noticeably slower after adding the silencer to the exhaust tip. It won't sound terrific (it might whistle or rattle or whatever), but it'll be bearably quiet.
    mas malapakas ba sa gas kung free flow o walang kinalaman to?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    minimal lang if you measure it. mapapalakas lang kasi magugustuhan mo yung tunog. personally, i'd go for chambered muffs, pero right now, i'm using a free flow JASMA spec muff with a 3" inlet. medyo maingay, pero di siguro kasing ingay pag NA yung kotse.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    siguro nga nagenjoy ako sa tunog kaya napapalakas gas..

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

JASMA - Some secondhands have a tendency to delaminate or rust, depending on the brand (some brands are notorious for this).
    so what brands should we avoid?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually, it's hella loud kung NA yung car. Kung turbo, the turbo actually acts as a primary silencer. Some turbo cars run without mufflers at all... (Dodge SRT4).

I think RSR is one (not so sure, ha)... I'm not really up-to-date, you'll have to search the internet to find out. Secondhand chambered mufflers should be examined carefully... as those interior baffles can come loose due to poor handling, vibration or corrosion (I've already lost three mufflers... two aftermarket chambered and one stock chambered... to baffle loosening)... or maybe you can try before you buy.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    my car is a turbo so i can use a free flow and it wouldn't be too loud right? thanks so much for the help!

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It will be loud, actually. It just won't be as loud as an NA car with a free-flow.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    ahh okay..well i was looking at my muffler and it seems the pipings are already big..i bought the car second hand so i don't know what muffler it is...its just too quiet for me and its look are not so great either..so i'm guessing its chambered..at idle it has a nice bass sound but if i accelerate it just sounds like a whooshing sound like phiiiiiishhhh hehehe haven't really heard it if someone else is driving it and me hearing it pass by..i'm guessing i'm gonna have to cut off the old pipe and weld it with a new one? hehe thanks for helping me out a total newbie! hehe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
muffler prices