New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    or..

mga cheapi-pays ang pinalit na pyesa sa overhaul mo last time.. tsk!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    just got mine OHd a month ago..during the first few days, medyo bitin talaga kasi nga di pwede i-upak..may mga internal parts pa na kailangan lumapat...but after a few weeks, ok na batak nya..di man kagaya ng brand new but additional hp is very noticeable...ilang days na ba after ma top overhaul? (semi OH ba, top OH un)

di nga kaya palpak ang pagkaka-OH ng engine mo? pa-tsek mo na din kaya? saan mo ba pinagawa yan? baka pwede mo ibalik dun sa probinsya kung saan mo pinagawa for the last time...pag ndi ka pa rin satisfied, dalhin mo na sa malapit na mechanic sa inyo para ma-double check...

regarding sa warm-up ng engine, ilang minutes ba talaga ang warming up? read from the other forums na 1-2 minutes lang daw ang warm up then pwede na tumakbo ang auto..but ndi pa rin pwede upak...mga 15-30 mins slow driving daw muna dapat...

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Thanks for the advise mga bro, I dont think na cheap yung pinalit sa mga piyesa sa pag overhaul coz co-mechanic ng pinsan ko yung nag overhaul. it's so happened na nasa probins yung gumawa/shop. kaya wala akong time to go back there. and also i like to hear other opinion.

Paano ba ginagawa ang compression test, saan shop ba ako pweding magpa compression test? bubuksan ba ulit ang engine ng kotse? please advise.

Thanks to all.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Reply to Buraot,

Actually kaya ko nasabi na semi overhaul lang yon dahil hindi ibinaba yung engine, dinukot lang daw sa ilalaim. dahil minor defects lang daw ang nangyari.

But i thing i'd like to confirm sa mga malaki na experience sa ganito, kapag ba na overhaul ang engine ano mga usual effect?

Sa kotse ko pinalitan ng mechanic yung connecting rod bearing, main bearing, oil bearing, water pump, & timing belt.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    malamang kumatok yan engine mo ng mawalang ng langis... teka bakit ng ba nawalang ng langis? ang kumakatok dito ay yun connecting rod bearings. your mechanic should have check for piston play, not an accurate way pero it would give you an overall idea what the damage could be.

si autotechnika and perhaps si speedyfix and other diesel shops listed here do compression test. madali lang ito. they just remove your sparkplugs (for gasoline engine) or injectors (for diesel) and the put a plug with a hore and meter at the end in place of it. then they crank the engine without letting it start. the reading in the meter indicates the pressure that each of your cyclinders give.

Supposively after an overall your engine would perform back to its original performance when new. It could perform a tad bit better due to reboring and oversized pistons. If rings were change you need to break it in to settle and "soften" up the rings. A week or two driving below 60 kph and not reving it hard would be more than enough for a break-in. After that drain/flush the oil
    , replaced the oil filter too, have the valves/timing adjust.

Do not race a cold engine let alone make it climb steep roads 30-40 degrees. As what one poster said, oil has to circulate in order to protect the engine.

BTW, how long since the engine was semi overhauled?
    Last edited by afrasay; October 21st, 2006 at 06:39 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    bro anong kulay ng usok mo? sori ha kung misleading itong tanong ko pero ito ang isa sa pinakaimportanteng tinitignan after ng top overhaul or semi-overhaul. any unwanted vibration after nung overhaul? how about engine noise?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by buraot View Post
    regarding sa warm-up ng engine, ilang minutes ba talaga ang warming up? read from the other forums na 1-2 minutes lang daw ang warm up then pwede na tumakbo ang auto..but ndi pa rin pwede upak...mga 15-30 mins slow driving daw muna dapat...
    In the morning, I turn the car on and wait up to 1 minute or so before I take off (not sure about the exact tme), but keep it below 3k for the first 10-15 minutes of driving. I use 10W40. The water gauge goes to the middle before your thermostat even opens. And when the water is already at warm or at the right temp, you'll notice that the oil isn't warmed up just yet and hasn't reached its normal operating temp. It takes 10-15 minutes for the oil to get warmed up (in most cases, also depending on what oil you use and the weather)... Until then, you're not supposed to push on the car any further ~Higher revs on cold engine = lots of wear...

-never run below 1500 rpm to avoid carbon buildup and overstressing the rods
    -wait until the engine is warm before going above 3k rpm
    -don't sit at idle for a long time because it's hard on the cats and you get incomplete combustion with a cooler engine

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    does that mean, that during normal driving, the rpm should be at least 1.5k? at what rpm should i shift gear in that case? I usually shift at around 2.5k-3k...

regarding the last suggestion, i sometimes leave the car during cold start to 3-5 minutes idle since i'm still preparing the things i need to bring along when i drive..sometimes,more than 5 minutes..is that bad for the engine to sit at idle? what will be the effect of leaving the engine idle for long?

regarding the loose compression test, some gas stations do compression test...pa compression test mo na para malaman mo kung bakit mahina pa ang hatak...mausok pa rin ba?

9. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    does that mean, that during normal driving, the rpm should be at least 1.5k? at what rpm should i shift gear in that case? I usually shift at around 2.5k-3k...
    yups that's what it says, never go below 1500 rpm, and never let it see beyond 3k rpm, that's just another way of saying "stay within 1.5 - 3k rpm... I shift at 3k rpm, then the needle goes down to 2k...
    regarding the last suggestion, i sometimes leave the car during cold start to 3-5 minutes idle since i'm still preparing the things i need to bring along when i drive..sometimes,more than 5 minutes..is that bad for the engine to sit at idle? what will be the effect of leaving the engine idle for long?
    That is more of an emmision issue, but I don't know if it really does some damage to the engine, some say it does some say it does not... When you start a car, more fuel is introduced into the engine. It requires some throttle input to switch over from a rich warm up running condition to a normal running condition. During the warm up period, unburnt fuel could make its way to the cat/s which haven't reached operating temperature and cause them to clog and start over heating over time.

Warming up at idle takes longer for the cats to heat up

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Thank again mga bro, para malaman ninyo yung talagang nangyari sa kotse nung papunta ako ng probins last May. nalubak yung kotse then di ko alam na natamaan yung drain plug ng langis habang tumatakbo kotse nakita ko na nagwarning yung oil. So I stop the car and check then nakita ko na daming talsik ng oil. Then I stop the engine at ipinahatak ko na lang. malapit na kc sa probinz namin kaya dun ko na pina overhaul yon.

To Afrasay :

Saan ba ang shop ng auto technika?

To Jim :

Maganda tunog ng engine tahimik at pino ang tunog hindi nanginginig at white ang usok ng tambutso.

Thanks ulit mga bro. I will try compression test at kung may time ako balikan ko sa probinz yung nag overhaul.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Mahinang humatak