New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Tsikoteers,

I'd like to get your learned opinions/experiences with regard to the two brands of iridium plugs we have on the market currently: NGK and Denso. Do you think or know if it is advisable to upgrade(?) to iridium plugs? If yes, which brand is better? Are there considerations for different brands of cars (Denso for Toyota, NGK for Honda, etc.)? If you "upgrade" to iridium plugs, when do you have to replace them again (every 10k, 20k)? Thanks for your inputs!!!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Pag may sign na patapos na buhay ng plug. Tried Iridium of Denso to NGK to (forgot the brand)... Nung nagpalit ako wala pang sign ng useless na un plugs.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Iridium and Platinum sparks plug doesn't increase the power output of your vehicle but rather extent the life of in between changes of spark plugs. When spark is created inside your chambers, it slowly corrode the metal that is acting as a conductor for the high voltage electricity. And at the same time, slowly widening the gap of the two conductors and hereby increasing the need of higher voltage. Since the Platinum is harder and have higher melting temp than regular spark plug metal, they don't require more interval check and changes, and since Iridium is harder and have much more higher melting point than Platinum, then its better than Platinum one. But sometimes the cost of the spark plug make you think, that is it worth it?

Just my 3 cents of opinion

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    use it if you have heavily modified engine...or ignition system for that matter.

waste of money for stock, imho.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ayaw gumana ng iridium sa XL5 ko kaya Bosch Platin gamit ko. Matagal ang buhay unlike sa ordinary plugs. Once a year na ako nagpapalit unlike dati twice a year.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    For Stock engine Use NGK

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSter
    use it if you have heavily modified engine...or ignition system for that matter.

waste of money for stock, imho.
    not always true. i don't think it's even good for tuned engines. if running slightly rich on the AFR, it's no good. they foul rather quickly! especially true on turbo engines. my tuner doesn't recommend it. my bro ran a set on his turbo VTi before, kaput after 1000kms, i think even less.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by al_motor
    not always true. i don't think it's even good for tuned engines. if running slightly rich on the AFR, it's no good. they foul rather quickly! especially true on turbo engines. my tuner doesn't recommend it. my bro ran a set on his turbo VTi before, kaput after 1000kms, i think even less.

yup.im just saying na i believe na may binabagayan talaga itong mga ganitong klaseng plugs.

some people just use it because of mis information na gaganda ang hatak.pero there are plug specs that they have to consider din.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Iridiums are used in some races so i think di naman siguro bobo mga tuners ng professional racers, especially in highly tuned engines.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    correct si al na fueling has to be spot on for them to be worth it. for turbo engines na madalas run rich to prevent detonation it's not a wise choice.

i used it on my car tho since before and no problems. had 2 sets, one for the street and another for brc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Iridium spark plugs: yes or no?