New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2019
    Hi again! I need some advice on what just happened or what should i do..

It was a heavy rain and medyo baha ang daan, bigla ko na lang napansin na umilaw yung battery indicator, and the wiper goes very slow.. So, dinisable ko muna lahat ng ilaw, wiper, radio and aircon just to be sure na makauwe ako, despite the weather being so bad...

Pag uwi ko, i turned-off the car, sit it for about 30mins then started it again, and wala na yung Battery indicator. I let it running with lights on, radio, aircon and wiper on but still the indicator isn't displayed, no more red lights on the dashboard but still i'm worried.. What could be the cause? ano po kaya sira and may need na po ba i-replace? May something kaya na nabasa under the hood dahil medyo mataas ang tubig?

My car is a Honda Civic 2010 model.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Liana View Post
    Hi again! I need some advice on what just happened or what should i do..

It was a heavy a rain and medyo baha ang daan, bigla ko na lang napansin na umilaw yung battery indicator, and the wiper goes very slow.. So, dinisable ko muna lahat ng ilaw, wiper, radio and aircon just to be sure na makauwe ako, despite the weather being so bad...

Pag uwi ko, i turned-off the car, sit it for about 30mins then started it again, and wala na yung Battery indicator. I let it running with lights on, radio, aircon and wiper on but still the indicator isn't displayed.. What could be the cause? ano po kaya sira and may need na po ba i-replace? May something kaya na nabasa under the hood dahil medyo mataas ang tubig?
    my guess is,
    your belt got wet and started slipping.
    that is why your alternator couldn't rotate as fast as it should, and the warning light shone.
    perhaps a little tightening of the belt, if that's possible?
    otherwise, just keep on drivin'. the indicator light will dis-apear, once friction dries up the belt and the alternator rotates normally again.

was the warning light on, all the way to your house?

as an aside,
    is your battery old?

3. Join Date
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    my guess is,
    your belt got wet and started slipping.
    that is why your alternator couldn't rotate as fast as it should, and the warning light shone.
    perhaps a little tightening of the belt, if that's possible?
    otherwise, just keep on drivin'. the indicator light will dis-apear, once friction dries up the belt and the alternator rotates normally again.

as an aside,
    is your battery old?
    Thank you for the fast reply! Battery is Motolite and mag one-year na po this july. Yes, warning light is "On" till i reach my house, but nawala after ko ulit sya i-start. Is it safe to assume na wala pong problema and may nabasa lang po sa loob? Or should i let an expert check the wirings?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Thank you for the fast reply! Battery is Motolite and mag one-year na po this july. Is it safe to assume na wala pong problema and may nabasa lang po sa loob? Or should i let an expert check the wirings?
    if the warning light dis-appeared pretty fast naman, and you detect nothing wrong naman,
    it's probably what i said above.
    a check with the electrical shop, may help shore up your confidence.

but if it repeats, and there is no rain to wet the belt,
    "then you're in trouble".
    Heaven forbid.

from my experience, the one thing that caused that to me, was alternator failure.
    when that happens, your remaining driving time is entirely dependent on your battery. switch off the aircon, all electric appliances, and lights (if safe to do so).
    bring it to the alternator shop asap.

i was once able to drive one hour without alternator, enough to bring the car, an old, electro-mechanical 1970s sedan, home.

good luck.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Happened to me a few times. Regardless of what car i drive. When i drive thru a puddle of water and nabasa belt, ayun ilaw yan. Then after a few minutes okay na

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    let it sit overnight. try starting it tomorrow morning drive it. if every thing seems back to normal pretty safe bet nga it is nothing more than the alternator belt slipping.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    ^

You could check also with car battery shop if the alternator is giving enough juice to the battery. If no then there's a problem somewhere in your alternator could be the pulley or diode which is common.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Thank you for the fast reply! Battery is Motolite and mag one-year na po this july. Yes, warning light is "On" till i reach my house, but nawala after ko ulit sya i-start. Is it safe to assume na wala pong problema and may nabasa lang po sa loob? Or should i let an expert check the wirings?
    warning light stayed on until you reached the house?
    i suppose this is more than just a few minutes?
    it takes only a short time for the belt to dry up...

ok.
    because your warning light stayed on for a longer time, i think you might have an alternator problem and not a wiring problem.
    i wouldn't be surprised if your alternator finally dies within a week of use. ours (non-honda) did.
    bring it to the alternator shop, and see if they see a problem.
    the decent ones may not charge you for it.
    "yock's" is known to a number of tsikoteers here. one in cubao and one in paco (i think).
    but seeing as you're from far away...

i wouldn't know about civics, but it cost us less than 5K to fix our toyota.

good luck.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 28th, 2020 at 08:22 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Happened to me also in the same weather condition, after a few weeks, started to notice something weird during starting, I ignored it since 1 year old plus pa lang battery and it is not the usual sign I encounter on a failing battery, ayun, the next week, it failed without warning, umandar sya from parking then when I gassed up a few kms away, the engine won't turn on again. Hassle. From ATC parking to Petron Commerce Av, dedbol.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Alternator pa check mo na.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk