New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I recently was driving towards Makati and on the SLEX, near Bicutan, without warning, the engine died. No sputtering, no shaking, it just died, I tried turning the engine on with the key 2 times, then the battery became empty. I managed to pull it over and had it towed to a near by gas station, SHELL station on the SLEX in Magallanes.
    I came back as soon as I could, 1 am, with my cousin and thought if we series the battery we could start it and get it home. Well, after charging it for 20 mins, we couldn't get it started. We push started it and after several tiring attemps, it started.
    We attempted to drive it home and it did it again. It died several times but we managed to get it home by 5 am, ended up using a garden hose as a make shift tow rope. It was a horrible experiance.
    The following morning we got a new battery, the old one was almost 2 years old, and it started with no problem, but while driving it - it died.
    2 months ago, it was in the shop because air was getting into the fuel line, causing violent shaking and loss of power, though the engine never died on me. They changed the hoses and it seemed to have fixed the problem.
    Does anyone know what I should check before I take it to the shop, so that there won't be any guess work when I get there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    initially, ang daming pwedeng maging cause nyan.

look at the fuel delivery system

had to editmy reply hindi ko nabasa na diesel pala ride mo.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus700 View Post
    ano po bang sasakyan?

if you can give your car make and model, marami dito ang mas makakatulong.
    Sir it's in the thread title.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Syuryuken View Post
    Sir it's in the thread title.
    ngkk, di ko nabasa yun ah

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    It's a Toyota Revo GLX 2004 Diesel Manual Trans.

I will get them to check the fuel delivery system.

6. Join Date
    May 2007
    did you have the alternator checked? kasi batteries are only used by our vehicle while starting but once we are running the alternator does the job now if your alternator is not working properly your car is using the battery and eventually the battery charge gets drained and probably that is why your engine stops.
    I had a client who kept on changing batteries, malayo kasi sya sa akin so dinala nya sa malapit na shop sa kanya nakadalawa syang change ng battery akala nung service center faulty lang yung nakabit nila pero finally may client had her car towed to me, buti na lang packed rat yung client, yung lumang nyang battery na galing sa akin dala nya. There was no problem with the battery, yung alternator pa la nya na mahina na.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    IMO... (sorry for the long post)

sabi mo "we got a new battery, the old one was almost 2 years old, and it started with no problem, but while driving it - it died."

since bnew na yung battery and while driving eh namatay ulit ang engine -- may possibility na may faulty wiring yang Revo mo at merong short sa electrical system!

diesel non-CRDI engines like on your Revo only needs power from battery to crank it up (using the starter of course). pag nag start na ang engine, di na kailangan ng power from battery (unlike sa gas engines na needed ang power for the spark plug & ignition). it only needs a very small amount of power para i-open nya yung butterfly valve (otherwise known as choke valve) para pumasok ang hangin sa loob ng engine. etong power na 'to eh galing sa ignition keys sa steering wheel/dashboard mo. kung may short sa electrical system mo at nawala ang power pag nasa ignition ON na yung susi, sigurado yan ang cause ng hindi pag-start ng diesel engine mo. isipin mo na nag-start ka ng engine na walang hangin na pumapasok (choked) -- sigurado di aandar ang engine mo.

in summary, mamamatay na lang ang diesel engine pag naubusan 'to ng fuel (dahil may hangin na sa injectors), na-choke dahil na-close yung throttle valve (na-cut ang power due to switching the ignition off or may pumutok na fuse) o kaya nag overheat. pwede rin walang hangin na mahigop (dahil nalubog sa baha) o kaya naman naubusan ng oil.

hope this helps

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    thanks for the reply.

I don't believe that there is a wiring problem. A couple of months ago, the fuel filter got clogged and the more I think about it, i think the problem may lie in the feed pump or fuel line. I'm leaning towards the idea that air is leaking into my fuel line and this is the reason why it is cutting out. Air would get into tthe line, temporarily cut of the supply then the engine would stall.

The reason, I tried pumping the feed pump and there was a whole lot of pumping till it actually filled up before it would feed fuel into the system. Anyways, thanks and please keep on giving me ideas, I need this fixed before I start long driving again.

Help with Diesel 2004 Toyota Revo