New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Simota is still an underhood system. It's only cold air when you get air from outside the engine compartment. Underneath the engine compartment, in front, inside the fender (between the inner and outer fender).

Keep in mind that the metal piping also heats up, raising the temperature of your ingested air.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP
    Simota is still an underhood system. It's only cold air when you get air from outside the engine compartment. Underneath the engine compartment, in front, inside the fender (between the inner and outer fender).

Keep in mind that the metal piping also heats up, raising the temperature of your ingested air.
    ah ok.. now i understand bro.
    pero kung racing filters lang papalitan ko? may improvement na din ba?
    thanks.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    dinaanan ko na rin yan. did the simota thing on my civic. sounded good. raised the shift point on my automatic by about 300rpm. but if i had to do it all over again. i would spend more money on rims and tires and soundsystem rather than boltons for my engine. if you really want better perfoemance, it would be more reliable to sell your slower car and buy a faster car. i moved from my simota'd civic to a stock VR6 and bought some nice 17 inch rims and tires, masaya na ako

4. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by luckytruck
    dinaanan ko na rin yan. did the simota thing on my civic. sounded good. raised the shift point on my automatic by about 300rpm. but if i had to do it all over again. i would spend more money on rims and tires and soundsystem rather than boltons for my engine. if you really want better perfoemance, it would be more reliable to sell your slower car and buy a faster car. i moved from my simota'd civic to a stock VR6 and bought some nice 17 inch rims and tires, masaya na ako

hehe.. ngayon pa nga lang ako na daan sa ganitong stage, kaya medyo excited pa. i get your point bro.

racing filter siguro ok na sa akin, kahit wala na yung aluminum tubing.

and yep i already spent my money on rims and tires. i'm not into speed driving anyway, more on the aesthetic side of driving and efficient gas consumption.

thanks bro.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    pag gsr hindi mo na kailangan ng aluminum tubing kasi ready na yun kabitan ng airfilter. Isa pa is nakakabit na yun sensor dun sa kabitan ng airfilter

6. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksie
    pag gsr hindi mo na kailangan ng aluminum tubing kasi ready na yun kabitan ng airfilter. Isa pa is nakakabit na yun sensor dun sa kabitan ng airfilter
    hindi naman magagalaw yung sensor ko once i change into K&N's or Simota right?

hindi ba mas malakas ang intake ng air pag cone filter type? thanks.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus
    ah ok.. now i understand bro.
    pero kung racing filters lang papalitan ko? may improvement na din ba?
    thanks.
    minimal...

and even so... any gains is negated by the fact that unshielded open-type filters will suck in hot air coming from the engine compartment (resulting in a not so good fuel consumption).

try to also install a heat shield for your open-type filter... and place it as far as possible from the radiator and engine block.

btw, you are trading off better filteration (stock paper filter) against slightly better breathing (foam / gauze filter).

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by otep
    pasali po sa tech-talks... very interesting...

sir otep, as what you have said, ano po ba ang mgagiging result when piping heats sa engine? i had given kasi a simota which i just installed yesterday for testing... medyo umingay yung makina, then yun nga, mainit din yung piping... my car is 2 years old from new, baka kasi magkaroon ng diperensya sa engine... better to know the consequences now before i am going to loose my whole engine! my engine is 4g18 sohc, 1.6 lit...

im planning to change the filter with heat shield, does it makes sense?

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    A heat shield is a good idea... it helps cut down temperature a bit. As for hot piping, it won't hurt your engine but will lower performance (hot pipes=hot air=less power) and may be bad for your sensors in the long run. Some people compensate by insulating
    the pipes, others use plastic instead. I just used my stock tubing to avoid problems.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    thanks * niky! but does metal things serves as a conductor?

If you think the pipe is hot, that's because at a stop, the ambient engine bay temp rises before it begins to cool down. But when you're running, the flow of air over and inside the tube lowers the actual temp...everywhere. Think "windchill factor" a.k.a., which is cooler: a hot day, or a hot day (same temp) but the wind is blowing?

Second, metal is a better heat conductor than rubber, meaning to say that although it heats up quickly, it also removes heat faster, especially if there's airflow "wicking" away that heat.

That the tube heats up is actually a good sign, because theoretically, it's absorbing the heat from the air passing inside it, therefore cooling the air going into the system.
    i am wondering now what is the best?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
HELP! Air Intake for my GSR?