New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The problem is, a metal tube conducts heat from the engine bay into the intake tract... stock systems are designed for ambient temperatures, and the sensors don't like hot air. It's all fine for some internet gurus to theorize about this, but some guys in our club have had sensor issues due to metal tubes. That's why we insulate them. Once insulated, such problems disappear.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ung akin din metal piping, how do i insulate it? ung roof insulator ba ok na? ung parang styrofoam na may silveplastic sa one side..... balutan ko na lng non....

TIA

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fLaKeZ
    ung akin din metal piping, how do i insulate it? ung roof insulator ba ok na? ung parang styrofoam na may silveplastic sa one side..... balutan ko na lng non....

TIA
    yun ba yung ginagamit sa AC? pede ba yon?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup... wag lang idikit sa engine mismo (baka matunaw)... best look for the stuff that has fire-ratings, some of the stuff for sale isn't labelled as to their maximum serviceable temperature.

I digress, though... the sensor problem doesn't happen to all cars (it's more prevalent on Fords and Nissans), but the concommitant drop in power during hot days and traffic is very real. That's the reason why I don't like the saucer type Simota air filter for carburated cars... on that one, you can really feel the heat...

In other words:
    steel - okay for most, but not good in traffic
    plastic - better
    stock rubber tubing - has kinks that lessen power gains from filters, but has best heat protection...

Also, a heat shield (steel, from Simota, covers side of the filter facing engine) doesn't entirely stop heat, but it makes the filter assembly a bit less sensitive to engine bay heat.... the plastic cone cover also helps, but it limits gains a tiny bit.

Siguro, the writer of the article was referring to cold-air-intakes... with those, the effects of steel tubing are less apparent, but still real, as experienced by the TRS crew during the Lynx cup series... after they wrapped their sensors and tubing, electronic glitches all but disappeared.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    .. That's the reason why I don't like the saucer type Simota air filter for carburated cars... on that one, you can really feel the heat...
    im using Fuel Injector, does mine counts to this?

.. In other words:
    steel - okay for most, but not good in traffic
    plastic - better
    stock rubber tubing - has kinks that lessen power gains from filters, but has best heat protection...
    yeah, ive seen some DIY things in the internet using PVC pipes (plastic)..

.. In other words:
    Also, a heat shield (steel, from Simota, covers side of the filter facing engine) doesn't entirely stop heat, but it makes the filter assembly a bit less sensitive to engine bay heat.... the plastic cone cover also helps, but it limits gains a tiny bit.
    i will post later the photo of my installation... as you aware of Lancer's (04 Model) cold air intake stock, i leave a portion of it, the mouth which is attached to the grill, and position the air filter on it so it will help to get cold air from outside... does it help?

.. Siguro, the writer of the article was referring to cold-air-intakes... with those, the effects of steel tubing are less apparent, but still real, as experienced by the TRS crew during the Lynx cup series... after they wrapped their sensors and tubing, electronic glitches all but disappeared
    i am using the short ram, and always keeping my eye on the engine temp gauge... so far, reading is the same... no changes in the engine temp...siguro for now?

one more question... why these vendors manufactures steel piping if it will drastically affect your engine performance..on a loosing part... same i found not only from Simota, but HKS, Apexi, K&N, AEM, Injen and the rest?
    Last edited by bhongskie; May 21st, 2006 at 02:49 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    hindi na kailangan palitan yun stock na tubing ng gsr into metal or pipe tubing. Yun airfilter naman na cone type mejo nasa gilid kaya hindi naman nakakahigop ng hot air. Pero kung traffic at mainit talaga makina mo wala naman difference din sa hatak. Ang advantage lang pag vold weather at night driving

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yung metal tubing kasi provides smoothest airflow, important in generating good hp gain numbers on the dyno. No, you won't see temperature differences on your temp gauge, as the engine automatically adjusts... but like quiksie said, thanks to the heat difference, you won't feel the advantages of an in-bay cone in traffic unless you shield or insulate it.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    salamat po mga gurus..... now it is me who's going to decide now, which is which....Thanks a lot!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
HELP! Air Intake for my GSR?