New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    your car shouldn't have any side effects after being filled up with a slightly lower octane gasoline.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    The 98 CR-V could take 91 RON octane unleaded. No one sells 91 here anymore. Sayang pa naman.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Well it also depends.

I tend to find myself flooring the accellerator more in my old Opel Omega when using lower octane fuel. It ends up costing me more fuel to gain the kind of accelleration required.

Though documented to do fine on 93 Octane, the ECOTEC engine ends up having to gargle more gas to get more power at higher rpms.
    Last edited by pink_cadillac; October 11th, 2004 at 09:48 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    the best way to save on fuel does not only depend on looking for a cheaper one... i think driving attitude is more important above anything else, diba? like avoiding unnecessary sudden stops, hard acceleration, etc... you can also refer to your car manual, i believe meron nakalagay dun sa may section na nagaadvise on how to care for your engine
    doing that will not only save you fuel but also extend engine life. :D

5. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    removing unnecessary cargo from the car helps also. weight is a big contributor to bad gas milleage.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Sudden stops are inevitable in this city.

And folks, driving slow may save you gas, but it doesn't mean you're more efficient or that you do not inconvenience other motorists.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by OTO
    removing unnecessary cargo from the car helps also. weight is a big contributor to bad gas milleage.
    I guess its time to unload that body of Jimmy Hofa from the trunk.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Most new engines have knock sensors, putting gasoline with correct octane level helps in making your engine perform optimally.

It is advisable to check your manual for the minimum octane needed.

CR-Vs need 95 octane and up according to the manual.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    i think driving at the speed limit (80/100kph depending where you are) is a good idea even if it isnt enforced.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    walter would the cr-vs you are reffering to are the current models?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Gasoline Octane Change