New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2010
    Mga bossing,

Tanong lang po. Although I saw a similar thread here in this forum (way back 2006), I just want to re-verify what the current active tsikot members thing about aftermarket rust-proofing.

Here's my dilemma. I am planning to go to Ziebart, or tuff kote branch, for a full-body rust-proofing. Sorry, my mind's still in the 80s-90s e, and we always rust-proof our cars, hehehe.

Then an old friend, who was driving since the age of 16 (so mga 30 years+ ago na yun) told me na he bought his CRV to Ziebart and he found out that the rust-proofing methodology is flawed. They drill holes in the body and its in these holes where rust begins to form (some years later after the rust-proofing). He also mentioned that today's cars are more resilient to rust due to advances in material sciences (iron?) and paint chemicals.

Now I have a dozen younger friends (in their early 30s, some in their mid 20s) who adviced me to proceed with rust-proofing.

At the back of my mind, my 'older' friend's argument seems the most logical. What does everyone here think po? to rust-proof or not to rust-proof, that is the question.

P.S. Undercoated na yung kotse (yung free sa casa for brand new cars). If you need to know, the car is a 10th Gen 1.6G Altis (A/T).

Thanks po for your advice.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    AFAIK, cars nowadays come with factory rustproofing, so you can wait until it gets chipped and damage through wear and tear before going to aftermarket solutions

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TechieN00b View Post
    Mga bossing,

Tanong lang po. Although I saw a similar thread here in this forum (way back 2006), I just want to re-verify what the current active tsikot members thing about aftermarket rust-proofing.

Here's my dilemma. I am planning to go to Ziebart, or tuff kote branch, for a full-body rust-proofing. Sorry, my mind's still in the 80s-90s e, and we always rust-proof our cars, hehehe.

Then an old friend, who was driving since the age of 16 (so mga 30 years+ ago na yun) told me na he bought his CRV to Ziebart and he found out that the rust-proofing methodology is flawed. They drill holes in the body and its in these holes where rust begins to form (some years later after the rust-proofing). He also mentioned that today's cars are more resilient to rust due to advances in material sciences (iron?) and paint chemicals.

Now I have a dozen younger friends (in their early 30s, some in their mid 20s) who adviced me to proceed with rust-proofing.

At the back of my mind, my 'older' friend's argument seems the most logical. What does everyone here think po? to rust-proof or not to rust-proof, that is the question.

P.S. Undercoated na yung kotse (yung free sa casa for brand new cars). If you need to know, the car is a 10th Gen 1.6G Altis (A/T).

Thanks po for your advice.

with today's cars, the quest for higher passenger to car weight ratio, manufacturers opted to have lighter cars using HSS (hight strength steel) which are thinner and more prone to corrosion. gone are the days where we would use oxy-acetylene torches to patch or repair panels. these HSS body parts warp too easy when heated even when buffing. that's the reason why car body components are subjected to electrolytic deposit painting (EDP) where partially assembled car bodies are dipped in acid bath, rinsed, dipped in rust converter, rinsed again, dried and primered in a tub of electrically charged tub of paint. if the asian car was manufactured somewhere around tokyo/yokohama area like nissan and isuzu, the steel material are the ones that corrode very easily compared to cars made in nagoya like toyota, mitsubishi, and daihatsu. the ones made in hiroshima, mazda resists rusting better than tokyo/yokohama cars. the rustproofing is an added protection from rusting but should be done properly. if the car crossed and ocean, it has to be rinsed properly and dried prior to rustproofing. cadillac themselves voids the rust through warranty if the car was "rustproofed". with the advancement of seam sealing and flow water down concept, cars should last up to five years (just when it is paid for) without rust throug perforation.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Tucson ko, naka full body rust proof, sa ziebart din pinagawa, direcho ko doon after ko makuha sa kasa. Ok naman, ilang taon na, walang rust,

5. Join Date
    May 2010
    Thanks sa mga comments.

I don't know until when I'll be keeping the car. Depende siguro sa mga mararanasan ko in the next 4 years or so. But it would be unlikely na ibenta ko sya habang may warranty pa (3 years).

I know I wouldn't experience rust as early as 3 years (maliban siguro kung gagawin kong amphibious yung kotse, hehehe).

Pero parang may instinct is telling me, wag na lang, ipunin ko na lang pera para sa ibang accessories.

"Full-body rust-proofing" (aftermarket), is it advisable