New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I have a 1996 Isuzu trooper with gasoline engine. I plan to change the engine into a diesel. What diesel engine(s) would fit? Can anyone knowledgeable give me an estimate of the cost of this engine change?

madugo yan...at di practical, madaming unknown post-conversion issues pa!just sell it and buy a diesel trooper or other diesel SUV....

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy View Post
    madugo yan...at di practical, madaming unknown post-conversion issues pa!just sell it and buy a diesel trooper or other diesel SUV....
    Tama. The only practical reason for changing an engine is because the old one is destroyed beyond repair, or if you want more power for racing.

Changing to a diesel engine to save money just doesn't work. Return-on-investment mo, considering around 100,000 pesos ang likely na aabutin mo (secondhand turbo-diesels that big cost a lot), maybe 120k plus, depending on the cost of the engine and contingencies like stuck-up turbos, busted computer boxes or clogged injectors... you won't be saving any money from lower fuel consumption.

Oh, and did I mention resale value? Once you've swapped engines, your resale value goes to pot.

Sell the Trooper. Use the money and buy a diesel rig... just steer clear of Troopers with 4JX1 engines... ...the additional money you spend trading up to a diesel rig will be less than you'd be spending on the swap, and the headaches will be much less, as well.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Igorot61 View Post
    I have a 1996 Isuzu trooper with gasoline engine. I plan to change the engine into a diesel. What diesel engine(s) would fit? Can anyone knowledgeable give me an estimate of the cost of this engine change?
    bro pwede mahingi ang engine specs ng kotse mo? thanks.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    alwayz_yummy and niky,
    thanks for replying, but my questions are: what diesel engine(s) will fit? and how much would it cost? I dont need advice on whay to do with my trooper.

dennis powell,
    thanks for replying too. my trooper has a 4 cylinder 2.0 gasoline engine, original LHD.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Igorot61 View Post
    alwayz_yummy and niky,
    thanks for replying, but my questions are: what diesel engine(s) will fit? and how much would it cost? I dont need advice on whay to do with my trooper.

dennis powell,
    thanks for replying too. my trooper has a 4 cylinder 2.0 gasoline engine, original LHD.
    We're just saying this because many people do engine swaps to save gas. From experience, no amount of gas saving can ever recoup the loss of money for the swap and in terms of resale.

----

In regards to engine fitment... I thought all local 90's Troopers had either the V6 or a diesel? Is your model the rather boxy older Trooper, or the bigger one (similar to the last Troopers sold here in shape)?

If you have the older one, it might still fit, but I don't know how much you'd have to spend in terms of mounting and drivetrain modifications... it might be a whole lot, it might not be very much.

If it's the more modern one, the 4JG2 3.1 turbodiesel should slot right in. Decent motor, about 110 - 120 hp, but lots of torque. Like I said, stay the heck away from the 4JX1, it's nothing but trouble.

As for prices... good luck... kahit yung mga 4JB1 na turbo, medyo mahal... a good condition 4JG2 might cost around 100k pesos or more... don't know for sure... we've bought car and AUV/pickup engines, but never SUV engines.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

tama...

any local diesel trooper w/ diesel engine will fit, but costs much kung makina lang.

anywayz, may local diesel na trooper naman, e.... kaya its not practical to swap.

sell mo muna, then buy ka ng say newer trooper na diesel(up to 1999 kung gusto mo may 4wd at m/t)

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the input. According to the CR, my trooper is 1996 with chassis number that starts with UBS17........nakalimutan ko na. i believe this is an original LHD imported model. The reasons for my wanting to change the engine? 1. I like the ride.....super smooth, walang kalampag.....hugs the road
    even on sharp curves. I have driven an Expedition and
    a toyota Sequoia, and I can say that the ride is
    similar. I dont want to get rid of this trooper.
    2. Sentimental value
    3. I tried selling several months ago....walang gustong bumili ng
    4-cylinder gas model.

prob talaga yan....well, kung gusto mo talaga, magagawa..pero di lang makina mapapalitan mo > kasama most likely ung mounting, electrical connectors, tranny, tachometer at kung anu anu pa...

di lang magaling na mekaniko kailangan mo, kung di electrician din.. contakin mo si sir speedy baka nagawa sila..PM mo siya dito speedyfix ID nya dito..

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    thanks again for the info. how can i get in touch with SPEEDYFIX? I'm new to this forum....perhaps you can direct me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
enigine change