New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Has anyone tried replacing the coilover lowering springs of his car by himself?

It looks simple to replace, but I know mahirap siguro magtanggal and there might be some critical factors to consider...

Oks lang sa akin magpa professional installation pero I feel na mas ok kung ako ang gagawa lalo't hindi naman masyadong mahirap.

I just installed OEM running boards(side skirts/step board) on our minivan by myself, although tinanggihan na ng about 4 car shops dahil mahirap daw gawin(kulang sa bracket/etc).

Mahilig lang talaga ako sa Do It Yourself(DYI) in almost anything.

Mahirap kaya ito? Any tips?
    Last edited by kuroy; September 10th, 2003 at 02:36 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i used to own a civic, and i did the coilover job on that car.

it's pretty straightforward, remove and replace. the tricky part lang eh yung pag compress ng springs to remove them.

you have two choices...

1. you bring it to a shop to have them compress it and remove the old springs or

2. you can find one of those DIY spring compressor. you have to use a ratchet or a wrench for this one. it's tricky and dangerous if you don't know what the hell you're doing. you don't want that spring snapping back at your face if it slides out of them things.

after natangal mo na, put the coilovers on then just put everything the way you took it off. you dont need to compress the coilovers, you can set the coilovers/springs low enough so you dont have to use the compressor. saka mo na lang adjust pag naka salpak na.

i almost forgot, better pray to god na you're nuts and bolts are not rusted shut or else dun din bagsak mo sa SHOP....hahaha
    kasi power tools din kailangan mo para matangal yun.

try to use a breaker bar. it will help you a lot. it will give you more leverage to remove the bolts.

goodluck!!!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    nabasa ko nga din iyong compression ng springs and iyon nga daw iyong risky.

nice feat doing your own coilovers.

salamat sa mga pointers mo pre...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kuroy, lagyan mo ng WD-40 mga bolts n nuts para paniguradong di mo ma strip. Pero kung papa compress mo din lang sa shop ang springs mo, palagay mo na din ang shock. Sa shop na alam ko kse, halos pareho na ang price ng pa compress lang or kasama na install. Tanong mo na lang sa shop kung magkano pa compress lang and kung magkano ang installation na din. Kung ang price diff is very minimal, I dont think its worth doing it yourself kung pwede naman nilang gawin (with a very minimal price diff nga) ang installation na din. Pero kung hobby mo talaga ang DIY, then by all means, pa compress mo na lang para hindi mataksikan ng springs mukha mo kung saka-sakali...hehehe

goodluck

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Salamat sa input mo dre...maglilimi limi pa ako ng kaunti at di lalaon ay mag iisip ako ng kung anong dapat kong gawin.

thanks.

DYI - Coilover springs Installation mahirap ba?