New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    not sure if this is the proper forum to post on, but here goes...

i popped up the hood of my ride this afternoon to find one of the spark plug wires disconnected, and melted onto the exhaust manifold; so all this time i was running around town on 3 cylinders!

then it all began to make sense: prior to this i noticed that the engine seems to sieze more often, and there was a very strong smell of gas from the exhaust. my conclusion was that since the wire was disconnected from one of the cylinder, no spark was being generated from the spark plug, hence no combustion(hence no power, resulting in an engine that siezes frequently and causes excessive vibration) on that cylinder, and the air-fuel mix being pumped onto the cylinder just gets flushed out through the exhaust without being burned(hence the strong gas smell)

tama ba?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lupit nun ah.. pano natanggal yun? nakalimutan ba ikabit?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tumipid ba oto mo? ala vtec3? :D

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by badkuk
    not sure if this is the proper forum to post on, but here goes...

i popped up the hood of my ride this afternoon to find one of the spark plug wires disconnected, and melted onto the exhaust manifold; so all this time i was running around town on 3 cylinders!

then it all began to make sense: prior to this i noticed that the engine seems to sieze more often, and there was a very strong smell of gas from the exhaust. my conclusion was that since the wire was disconnected from one of the cylinder, no spark was being generated from the spark plug, hence no combustion(hence no power, resulting in an engine that siezes frequently and causes excessive vibration) on that cylinder, and the air-fuel mix being pumped onto the cylinder just gets flushed out through the exhaust without being burned(hence the strong gas smell)

tama ba?
    mostly right.

But its also possible for some of the fuel to leak down into the crankcase.

BTW, running on 3 cylinders would have resulted in a big increase in engine vibration and a lot less power too. I was wondering why you didn't notice those?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    napansin ko naman ung vibration n stuff...somehow i got it in my head that the air filter was the culprit -- i.e., not enough air was going into the engine, kaya parang nasasakal ung engine. either that or a busted engine mount

natanggal ko ata ung wire while trying to pry out the oil filter.

hmmm....di rin ganun katipid sa tingin ko...the unburnt fuel seems still goes out the exhaust e. de carburetor pa kasi ride ko, none of that fancy EFI stuff B).

just curious: why would a noncombusting cylinder cause such vibration?
    Last edited by badkuk; July 25th, 2004 at 09:42 PM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    why would a noncombusting cylinder cause such vibration?

kasi ang baba nung RPM nung engine bro, kasi nga yung isang cylinder hindi na nagsusunog ng gasoline.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    "why would a noncombusting cylinder cause such vibration?"

wala na sa timing yung engine...............

8. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    hi badkuk,

i've come across that problem. probably you were using replacement high tension wires. am i correct? I suggest to buy the original or aftermarket (Hight end) high tension wires bacuse they are designed to take the hight temperature created by the exhaust manifold. dont be fooled by the cheap wired made in japan.

when you change you high tension wires, and you still feel vibration. change your sparkplugs. it is possible that the sparkplug shorted out when it was not burning the fuel.

to answer you question of vibration. the vibration is cause by the imbalance that was created by the lack of one cylinder not working. its like riding a bike. try biking with one foot. you'll understan after.

mintoy

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    uuhh....mintoy, actually it's more embarrassing than that....

i removed one of the (stock)spark plug wires while trying to get at the oil filter. i left there, resting *on* the exhaust manifold. ayun, nasunog ung insulation and dumikit pa B).

u hv a gud point re the spark plugs...chek ko mmya.. thx!

DIY misadventures: running on 3 cylinders