New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    ^^^ Mahal yata ang 32k for an overhaul. Surplus engines ng PH16 only cost less than 15k. Kasama installation and tuning, siguro less than 20k lang ang damage.

Buti na lang hindi pa ako nasisiraan ng crankshaft. Although muntik na akong mabalian ng crankshaft bolt

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Depends, you can't really compare changing a surplus engine vs overhaul when you're merely replacing old, used parts with one and new parts and the labor involved with the other.

I don't think comparing the price between engine replacement and overhaul with new parts is valid.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    don't think comparing the price between engine replacement and overhaul with new parts is valid.
    I was merely commenting on economies of scale. For me, it doesn't make sense to overhaul an engine which would cost TWICE as much than buying a surplus engine.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It will really depend on how the engine failed. kung warped or severely damaged ang block its better to buy a surplus engine. People tend to think that its better to buy a surplus than overhauling an engine. Open the engine first before you decide.

I personally overhauled my engine last month.
    plastigaged them thoroughly using green and red. Replaced all liners. Returned the block, cranshaft,cam, piston and conrad several times sa machine shop to make sure clearance is in accordance with the the service limits and standards. Torqued it accordingly and even borrowed a dial/degrees gauge to make sure. Now i think the engine is as good as new. Remanufactured Engine. No surplus engine can give you the confidence and trust on your mill.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    i see a lot of crank failure in trucks where the crank snaps in half. we're replacing one right now.

in passenger cars though it's more common to see just the ends busted and not any snapping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
crank shaft may nakasira na sa inyo?