New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you tuned up recently and your plugs are still okay... go and check your carb (may need some adjustments or a good cleaning... or even overhaul if this had not been done).

Check also your valve tappet clearances if they're up-to-spec along with the timing.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    If you tuned up recently and your plugs are still okay... go and check your carb (may need some adjustments or a good cleaning... or even overhaul if this had not been done).

Check also your valve tappet clearances if they're up-to-spec along with the timing.
    thanks! as for cleaning the carb with the carb spray can (i will buy in SM Ace), do you just open the air filter and spray the contents onto the exposed carbureator?

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    guys,

Finally got my carb cleaned at Kamuning, had a tune up as well....so far after my first full tank of city driving (same conditions as before)

I now get 9.7 kms/liter from my previous 8.2kms!!! for my 1990 xl corolla. i am now on my 2nd full tank and hope to see the same improved mileage again!!

thanks for all the inputs!

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
    This forum ROCKS!

thank you very much for all your help.

looks like i will start with the carb since i dont think this was cleaned in several years....the engine sounds smooth but a compression test is a good idea, clutch is not sliding just yet, my tires are inflated at 28 but i will try 30, traffic wise is the same since i only drive during non-peak hours, i just had a tune up just 8,000kms ago but i will have to check the type of plugs that were used, will also check the last time the air filter was replaced...

i forgot to mention that all the valves and seals were replaced 9 months ago...

will get to work and let you know how things turn out....i will be using all the advice here and make sure i cover everything one by one starting from the basics....

Cheers guys!!
    Check the manufacturer's recommended pressure for your tires. It depends on what size of rubber you are using too. Pero 30PSi is safe. Pero check mo pa rin!

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Hi,

I also got myself a 1990 toyota corolla xl, I have the same problem with a consumption of 8km/liter, me konting "palya" or some "sinok" pero hindi madalas, Ive tried a tune-up ok naman ang spark plug..does it also cause the fuel consumption? do i have re tune up again? or theres something wrong with my carb? please advise..thanks

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    gabrielangelo:

i think ur carb needs to be overhauled. kaya may sinok at medyo malakas sa konsumo ng gasolina.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Thanks for the advice, Maybe ill try to bring it sa kamuning for overhaul..

Normally how much they charge for a carburator overhaul?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Corolla Gas milege got worse