New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    dude, you are over analysing this whole thing. for some reason you seem to think the amount of oil decreases when the engine is running, hence you want to add more. well it doesnt.

Quote Originally Posted by blink21me View Post
    True, it's not an exact amount, so why don't you try filling your oil just above the LOW level when the engine's cold since it's still within the gap? Think of what might happen if the car is old and not in its excellent running condition? Even if you ask oil changers, well they might say it wouldn't really matter but if you ask someone who specializes in the automotive world, will their response be the same of those who just changes oil just for the heck of it???

And wow, saying my teacher was high on gas fumes??? He knows what he's doing and he's lived with it, he was a part of a racing team that enhances/makes their car reach and keep up with it's full potential, and those are the guys who are the most cautious even when it comes to just using a washer... And, I find your reply a little offending, if you fail to understand or disagree with someone else's post, just try to prove yourself... Ask one of them about oil level and they'll tell you to get it as close to the FULL level as possible when it's warmed up...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    From Halfords.com:

You’ll need a clean rag, a pack of engine oil of the correct type, and maybe a funnel. Before you start, park the car on level ground and make sure the engine has been stopped for at least 5 minutes.
    From eHow.com:

Check the oil when the engine is warm. Oil expands when it's hot and contracts when it's cold; different temperatures will give you different readings.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slip-slick View Post
    dude, you are over analysing this whole thing. for some reason you seem to think the amount of oil decreases when the engine is running, hence you want to add more. well it doesnt.
    I'm not overanalyzing it, it's the reality... You wanna respond to my questions in the previous posts? I'm curious of what you might correct among what I have posted???

I'm not someone who just creates crap out of what I think, come on now, everyone learns in a way or the other, I don't mind to admit I am one of those who learns from anyone else who knows better than I do... Who told you that you have to measure the oil level when it's cold, anyways?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Are you saying that when it's running at operating temp, that's when you check the oil and make sure it's at the FULL mark?

Or are you saying that right after shutting it down, you check the oil to make sure it's at the FULL mark?

Like NazQ posted, oil expands when hot. So if you measure your engine COLD, and it's at FULL, it will register slightly higher when it's already at operating temperature and the oil is HOT because it has expanded. Thing is we don't see this because the rest of the oil is still in and around the engine so you'll read a lower level.

On some diesel engines the turbocharger is cooled by the oil, and overfilling it will cause the gaskets and O rings to give in. This causes a runaway diesel to happen, the revs climb all the way up until the engine explodes or throws a rod. Overfilling is definitely to be avoided. So if I may ask you, how do you measure if one's engine is overfilled?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I did some research and it might have been caused by a blocked oil strainer or a faulty oil relief valve(located in the oil pump assembly). As in hindi umaakyat ang oil which might lead to oil starvation. Hmm, maybe that's the oil pressure gauge reading is quite low.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Are you saying that when it's running at operating temp, that's when you check the oil and make sure it's at the FULL mark?

Or are you saying that right after shutting it down, you check the oil to make sure it's at the FULL mark?
    I was saying to measure it after you shut the car off (I mentioned that in my first post in this thread), since you don't wanna attempt to do it while car's running, that, I'd say would take around three minutes after you shut the car off...

Like NazQ posted, oil expands when hot. So if you measure your engine COLD, and it's at FULL, it will register slightly higher when it's already at operating temperature and the oil is HOT because it has expanded. Thing is we don't see this because the rest of the oil is still in and around the engine so you'll read a lower level.
    My thought is that even if the oil has expanded while the engine's warmed up, the reading will still run lower since a significant amount of oil goes up there; the difference between the area of the warmed up oil and cold oil covers ~ is less than how much oil would stay up throughout the internals when you just shut it off... so you would still want to make the reading while the engine is still warmed up...

On some diesel engines the turbocharger is cooled by the oil, and overfilling it will cause the gaskets and O rings to give in. This causes a runaway diesel to happen, the revs climb all the way up until the engine explodes or throws a rod. Overfilling is definitely to be avoided. So if I may ask you, how do you measure if one's engine is overfilled?
    Overfiling is a no-no when it comes to all types of engine... I don't get the last question, maybe you meant to ask; how do I determine whether the oil reading is overfilled or not? As a response to that question, I'd still measure it when he engine is warmed up... Hhhmmm, that doesn't make sense, I've bees saying the same thing over and over, you can rephrase your question if you wish to...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blink21me View Post
    How to measure the oil level right and accurately:
    - let the engine heat up to it's normal running temp
    - turn off the engine
    - pull out the dipstick
    - wipe the dipstick off with a clean cloth/towel
    - stick it back in
    - pull out the dipstick again
    - read the oil level

You have to wait at least 5 mins to let the oil drain back to the pan. The dipstick is calibrated on this assumption.

Your instructions above don't have this 5min waiting time so it's wrong.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
    You have to wait at least 5 mins to let the oil drain back to the pan. The dipstick is calibrated on this assumption.

Your instructions above don't have this 5min waiting time so it's wrong.
    I don't time myself, like I said before, IMHO 3 minutes would do it...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In my owners manual (isuzu), it specifically says there to measure the oil when the engine is cold, before the operation of the engine.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Blink, in your first reply you said why to wait a few minutes? Then your last reply prior to this message says you wait for 3 minutes. I don't get you.

Yes, how do you measure if one's engine oil is overfilled? Diba when the oil exceeds the FULL mark? But question is when does that happen? Of course, when you fill up the engine knowing that when it was cold, the engine was already at FULL, and YET you still filled it up when warm. Correct?

Be it three, five, or ten minutes, the oil will still be warm. As long as it's between the full and low mark, then that's OK. But when it's cold, and it's between the full and low mark, then it's time to top it off. Correct?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
confusing oil level indication