New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Snowbound and userfriendly...

Thanks for the inputs. I'll think about changing to kia carb (if I can't be able to change my car within 6-12 months... hehe). I actually heard about that before. In converting to lpg, my concern would be the availability of gas stations in places I would be going. I'm in real estate brokerage so I sometimes drive all the way to nearby provinces...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    > Just a little information about EFI and Carbs engine car

CARBS vs. EFI

The real question: Which is better? Well, this depends on a lot of factors. For one, what do you do with, and how do you drive your car? Obviously, if you race a vehicle professionally in which rules are involved that restrict the type of fuel delivery that can be used, you have little choice.

The age old question has always been disputed: Which makes more power? Well, this too is a good question. Carb enthusiasts argue that carbs make more power over port injection because the fuel helps "cool" the intake manifold. If this were true, what about Throttle Body Injection? I have seen little evidence to prove that carbs out-perform port efi on identical engines and vice-versa in controlled conditions.

Again, your choice depends on what you plan to do with your vehicle. In my opinion, carbs work great in ideal weather conditions and areas of the country which see little climate changes. Unfortunately, there are rarely 'ideal' conditions present. This leaves you to change jets and tune your carburetor to the changing weather conditions as the day goes on. On the other hand, EFI systems automatically compensate for changing conditions.

What about cost? Well, here again, it depends on what you want to do with your vehicle. If you don't mind drivability problems when the engine is cold or the humidity is high then carbs are for you. Simply put, no carburetor can do what a feedback efi system can do compared by cost. I have never seen a carb that you didn't have to tune to offset changing conditions. These changes require carb disassembly in most cases. EFI can compensate for most any change in weather conditions. Those that cannot be automatically compensated for by the ECM can be easily reprogrammed by PC or Laptop computer in just minutes without getting your hands dirty.

But carbs only cost $200 compared to $1000 for EFI system and programming hardware/software. Where are the savings? Well, $200 is just the initial cost of the average carb, new. Later, jet kits, gaskets, various diaphrams, and springs are required to maintain and tune carbs. Most efi systems have a highway mode operation in which fuel can be saved during periods of cruising that don't effect any other driving period. Personally, I have experienced a 4+mpg gain in fuel mileage utilizing such "built-in" features of GM EFI systems. Cost savings are self-explanitory, not to mention the time you save by simply sitting at a computer to tune your car instead of disassembling a carb.

What kind of features does EFI offer over carbs? Well, simply put: a carburetor just sits there. A typical GM EFI computer system can be programmed in the following areas:

Fuel Delivery based on MAP (Manifold Pressure), TP (Throttle Position), RPM, ECT (coolant temp)

Spark Advance based on MAP, TP, RPM, ECT

TCC Lockup characteristics based on TP, VSS (Vehicle Speed)

Highway Mode Air/Fuel Ratio based on MAP, TP, VSS, Time

Open Loop A/F Ratio and Power Enrichment Changes

Closed Loop parameters

Manifold Air Temp influence on timing and A/F ratio

Idle Speed based on ECT

Transmission Shift firmness and Shift Points (electronic automatics)

Cooling Fan(s) Operation besed on ECT, VSS

Trouble Code Parameters

and Much, Much More....

The Facts:

Carbs EFI

Winter Drivability: Poor Excellent

Summer Drivebility: Excellent Excellent

Skill Level Required: Average Advanced

Initial Cost: $200+ $1000 (typical)

Long-term cost: High Manageable

Performance: Good Better

Turbo-compatible: Poor Excellent

Supercharger-compatible: Depends Excellent

N2O-compatible: Good Good

Emissions Friendly: Poor Excellent

"Wow" Factor: Fair Excellent

Reliability: Good Excellent

Fuel Distribution: Fair Excellent (Port and Direct)

Intake Configurations: Limited Unlimited (Port and Direct)

Pros: 6 12
    Cons: 8 2

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    speaking of engine swaps here.. pwede kaya mga 1zz-fe sa mga lumang corollas (ae92, 101 & 111)? i mean kung pwede kasi dba mas tipid sa gas yun kasi lighter ang mga lumang model ng corollas by maybe 100-200kgs.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 170kphlang View Post
    speaking of engine swaps here.. pwede kaya mga 1zz-fe sa mga lumang corollas (ae92, 101 & 111)? i mean kung pwede kasi dba mas tipid sa gas yun kasi lighter ang mga lumang model ng corollas by maybe 100-200kgs.
    IMO, the 1ZZ & 2ZZ swaps for the AE92, 101 & 111 is impractical and expensive (its the same as the K series swap on Honda's, except that the 1ZZ or 2ZZ swap has no aftermarket support and its not common *not unlike the K series swap which is pretty common, very well documented and has a huge aftermarket support.*

anywayz, for the old skool Corollas (AE86, 92, 101 & 111) the best engine to swap is no doubt the 4A-GE 20 valve (silver or black top). but if you want an engine that is both economical and at the same time has a decent amount of power, then just swap a complete 4A-FE (2nd generation) or even a 7A-FE (or you can do the 7A-GE hybrid.. and I know how to do it! lolz!) and keep it stock.

aite, peace.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sell your carb car and repalce it with an EFI equip one...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Changing from carb to efi