New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Hi Guys,

I am just wondering... Would there be any significant improvement in my car's fuel consumption if I change from carb to efi (corolla gl 90)? Any idea how much it would cost?

TIA

Manley

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It will not be easy nor cheap.
    There is too much to retrofit.
    I suggest you buy an EFI engine instead.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by manley View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am just wondering... Would there be any significant improvement in my car's fuel consumption if I change from carb to efi (corolla gl 90)? Any idea how much it would cost?

TIA

Manley
    the fuel consumption will not be that great. very minimal lang yan. if you are averaging around 10 kms/l sa GL mo, ang magiging difference lang nyan is around 1 km/l and besides as 4JG said, it would be very expensive on you. for one, the carb engine walang ECU yan, and one of the requirements of EFIs are the ECUs which regulate the flow of fuel automatically and control the burst of fuel into the engine.

benta mo na lang oto mo ang get an injected variant.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Changing engines to lower fuel consumption is not cost effective bro. Regular maintenance at wag masyadong todong apak sa gas pedal na lang para makatipid.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    It will not be easy nor cheap.
    There is too much to retrofit.
    I suggest you buy an EFI engine instead.

Agree

it's not worth the hassle getting all the parts that you need just to convert your block from carb to EFI, you'lll probably end up spending more compared to buying a surplus engine.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by manley View Post
    Hi Guys,

TIA

Manley
    I think a full engine swap would be the best way to do.. time for a 20 valve 4A-GE!!! hehehehe. youll get more HP but say sayonara for fuel economy! lolz!

anywayz, on a serious note. you can swap a 4A-FE in there and be done with it. it will be reliable, powerful and much efficient than your current engine IMHO.

aite, peace.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    KBR, Artpogi, mazingerz, 1D4LV, 4JGtootsie...

Thanks for your inputs. Very very helpful. I'll just save some more then upgrade to a newer model with efi.

Thanks,

Manley

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    it would not be practical to convert a carbed engine to an efi due to high cost. change engine would be the best.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    i suggest try using kia B1 carbs. you simply need an adaptor for it to fit. any machine shop can do the conversion. with it, im sure you can feel the difference.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    You might want to convert to LPG. This will give you money saving per liter of fuel. You save around P11 per liter. Check out the LPG thread for more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Changing from carb to efi