New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    May 2006

2. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Extending the drain interval when changing over from mineral to synths is a popular form of misinformation. Ang nagpapakalat nito ay ang mga marketing arm at dealers ng synthetic fluids to justify the added cost to the consumer. No offense meant, may kakilala din akong may mga talyer. Pero that's the only way they can push synths on vehicles that run on mineral based. If they said all the other benefits (yes there are other real benefits) but still prompted an oil change at the manufacturer's interval, hindi din bibilhin.

It's not the breakdown of the oil that requires you to drain it, it's the amount of suspended debris that is in the oil. Most of which are too small to be caught by the oil filter and by oil's inherent chemical structure become suspended in the oil.

Personally, I just use a good mineral based oil (one that meets or exceeds my vehicle's need) and change it at the manufacturer's recommended interval (5,000kms in my case). Bakit pa ko magtiya-tiyaga with old oil in my engine? Mas ok yung parating fresh. :D
    I dont believe that extending the drain interval of synths is a form of misinformation and only for marketing.Honda now uses synths on oil change for 10K intervals. I dont think they'll recommend it if its not true.They will not sacrifice the life of VTEC engines just to sell synths oils

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
    I dont believe that extending the drain interval of synths is a form of misinformation and only for marketing.Honda now uses synths on oil change for 10K intervals. I dont think they'll recommend it if its not true.They will not sacrifice the life of VTEC engines just to sell synths oils
    But they do sir...

Ako I use synthetic oil but I change them at 5k interval. Kailangan mo din kasi palitan ang Oil filter mo at 5k kaya sinasabay sabay ko na...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
    On a lot of Honda models, it is explicitly stated in the owners manual that the drain interval is really 10k kms. And the use of synth on some Honda models is a factory recommendation (the engines were really designed to use synths from the factory) not some salesman's overhyped claim.

What I meant is synth dealers saying that if I switched over my Kia Besta to synth from mineral, I'd get twice the mileage out the oil. Whether you use synth or not, you should stick to your manufacturer recommended interval. It is not only the oil that is the factor there but also the oil filter and other engine parameters.

Btw, some vehicles that use mineral oil have a drain interval of 7,500kms. For me whatever the base of your lubricant is, just stick to the factory drain intervals recommended for the type of usage the vehicle undergoes (regular, severe, etc.)

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    there are many considerations for oil change intervals...

1. engine type: diesels have a dirty combustion process which means the contaminants get into the oil faster this means shorter drain intervals.

2. how much milage the engine gets: if mabilis ka mag 10k kms then ok lang to wait for this long before the oil change on synthetic oils. pero even if you have synthetic and you only go 5k kms in a year... it won't be good to wait 2 years before you replace the oil because it will tend to absorb moisture which will degrade the lubricity of the oil causing it to not be able to protect the engine as much.

3. the condition of the engine: if the engine is busted na (valveseals and piston rings) then the combustion process is not as efficient and this will cause the oil to be contaminated faster warranting a shorter oil change interval.

most oil filters will retain their filtering capability naman even until 10k kms so no need to replace between intervals.

ok lang ba kung syn oil gamit mo ngayon tas sa next change oil balik ka sa mineral oil?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Change Synthetic Oil after 10k vs Change Regular Oil after 5k