New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    got a grand caravan and the exhaust and muffler is clanking and rattling for a long time now. due to age na rin siguro.... had it checked to a nearby muffler shop and the mechanic said that the catalytic converter is already bad. the components inside the cat converter is already worn out. he said it is non-repairable and removing it will eliminate the clanking noise. however, it has an O2 sensor and therefore removing it will lit up the Check Engine Light. is there a workaround so that the CEL will not lit up and still perform as before. i think the cat converter is there for emission standards....

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by abort_retry View Post
    got a grand caravan and the exhaust and muffler is clanking and rattling for a long time now. due to age na rin siguro.... had it checked to a nearby muffler shop and the mechanic said that the catalytic converter is already bad. the components inside the cat converter is already worn out. he said it is non-repairable and removing it will eliminate the clanking noise. however, it has an O2 sensor and therefore removing it will lit up the Check Engine Light. is there a workaround so that the CEL will not lit up and still perform as before. i think the cat converter is there for emission standards....
    why not just remove the catalytic converter and move the oxygen sensor to the new section of pipe?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    ipa-wasak nyo na lang po yung internal ceramic elements nung catalytic converter... then ibalik pa rin yung assembly nya so that nandun pa rin yung mounting ng O2 sensor...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    US$500.00 ata ang cat ngayon. Is the O2 sensor downstream from the cat?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    what year is the minivan? the O2 sensors (upstream or downstream) are mounted on the exhaust pipe and not on the cat con body so you can either remove the internals or cut-off the cat con and replace it with a resonator (but cutiing off a portion of the cat ad removing the ceramic is i think a lot cheaper). (don't worry if the cat is dead it can't reach the switch to trip the MIL lamp- he he joke lang po)

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    thanks sirs... it is a 1996 2.4L SE.... my father gave it to me months ago when he flew for australia.... he dont want to sell it so i am its care taker now... now, i want to fix that noisy thing para hindi naman nakakahiya using it on the road. yes ive seen the O2 sensors are not implanted on the cat converter. both are before and after the cat converter body.... you think by removing the internals would just be fine? it wont lit the CEL? i would go the cheapest route muna because i have to replace the center muffler too or maybe break the muffler and have the muffler shop replace its internals..

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yeah, just remove the cat and weld the bung to a piece of pipe and weld that in place of the cat.

While you can strip the cat, a new piece of pipe will give you better exhaust flow.

If you want a new cat, Nodalo's makes replacement cats, I believe. Last I heard, it was about 10k pesos, but it might be more expensive now.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    "you think by removing the internals would just be fine? it wont lit the CEL? "

removing the broken ceramics will be fine as long as the body will be welded without leaks. as to the CEL: theoretically on newer cars it will trip the MIL (P0420 code) since the switching of the O2 sensors will be identical except for the time lag (meaning no activities frm upstream to downstream). but don't worry your's is an early OBD2 and will not easily trip the MIL (and in most cases won't trip the MIL) BTDT so many times and no MIL lamp problems for the cat efficiency failure.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by t2erns View Post
    "you think by removing the internals would just be fine? it wont lit the CEL? "

removing the broken ceramics will be fine as long as the body will be welded without leaks. as to the CEL: theoretically on newer cars it will trip the MIL (P0420 code) since the switching of the O2 sensors will be identical except for the time lag (meaning no activities frm upstream to downstream). but don't worry your's is an early OBD2 and will not easily trip the MIL (and in most cases won't trip the MIL) BTDT so many times and no MIL lamp problems for the cat efficiency failure.
    thank you sir.... i think the muffler shop nearby can work on it. ive seen his work and it looks clean so most probably he can weld it back together without leak....

Catalytic Converter and O2 Sensors