New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    I hope someone has an idea on what is broken and how much this would cost me.

Car won't start
    Battery seems OK, stong horn and can play the radio loud.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    um, try mo tingnan yung starter mo.... d ko lang alam kung magkano kapag ganun e... a/t o m/t?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    manual trans po

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Does the starter click? If it doesn't, it's fried.

Brand new starter for 323/Lynx is around 5 thousand plus at any Ford dealership. Secondhand or reconditioned should cost 2 thou or so... but you can never be sure how long a secondhand unit will last.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    mas ok kapag m/t if ever ganyan ang situation. kapag matic kasi d mo na talaga masstart yun not like sa m/t pwede pa itulak. karamihan sa ganyang problem starter na e. pacheck mo na lang sa mekaniko mo. im not sure kung papalitan ng bago yun...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Yikes! 5K for a starter I'm fried!!

Thanks for the replies now I know what to expect.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Minsan bumubusina at gumagana ang radyo kahit "lo batt" na. Kasi starter naman ang pinakamalakas ang "higop" ng kuryente.

Try mo muna push start. Tapos dalahin mo sa battery shop. Pa-test mo. Pag ok pa. Baka nga starter...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Minsan lumuluwag lang terminal sa starter, baka kailangan lang ng konting higpit.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    before ka gumastos ng 5k for a starter, do the following checks first:

1. check your battery terminals. kahit malakas ang horn, radio and lights, pag maluwag o may corrosion dun sa terminals hindi kaya nun ang power drain ng starter motor. so loosen the terminals, clean the battery posts and the clamps, then put it back tight.

2. check the starter terminals.
    also try turning the ignition key, look for a clicking sound. pag walang "click" dun sa starter then probably the solenoid is defective.

also, you can hear a clicking sound (that is the starter solenoid pulling in the contacts and also engaging the drive pinion) but the motor will not turn. this can either be starter carbon brush (repairable yan, medyo mahirap lang nga maghanap ng spares for a 323) or the solenoid contact points are worn. kung may kilala kang magaling mag-brazing pwede buksan ang solenoid and then remove the contact points. you can then have the contact points brazed with brass and then file or grind to a new surface. pag wala then bili ka new solenoid.

if you know where the solenoid terminals are, then you can also short the solenoid and see if the motor turns. you can do this with a screw driver (insulated handle ha, malakas ang electrical shock ng starter terrminals pag hindi insulated ang gamitin mo) shorting the 2 terminals on the solenoid. this will by-pass the solenoid and the motor should turn.

3. there is also the possibility that you just have a starter pinion gear that won't engage the flywheel gear. this can happen if the starter was inadvertently "started" with the engine already running, causing broken pinion teeth. pag hindi maka-engage fully yung pinion sa flywheel e di hindi rin mag-contact yung solenoid, so hindi iikot yung starter. sad to say wala ka mabibili na pinion gear lang, buong starter meron.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by the_wildthing
    Minsan bumubusina at gumagana ang radyo kahit "lo batt" na. Kasi starter naman ang pinakamalakas ang "higop" ng kuryente.

Try mo muna push start. Tapos dalahin mo sa battery shop. Pa-test mo. Pag ok pa. Baka nga starter...
    i second this. this happened to me on my rav4. i can still play the radio / power windows / locks / hazard sign.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Car won't start