New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    My wife has a 98 RAV4, with one of those keyless remote-controlled carlocking systems. Last week, she noticed that the shrill sound that accompanies the locking and unlocking process (by pressing the button on the remote) would sometimes not be heard, although there would be nothing wrong with the locking/unlocking mechanism.

Yesterday, the shrill sound disappeared altogether. The locks still respond to the remote. It's just that the sound is no longer there. She sort of wishes to restore the sound. After all, it does help in indicating whether the mechanism has indeed responded to the remote.

What could have gone wrong with the sound? Any way I could fix this? Hope somebody can help.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Loose wiring? Does it have an alarm? If it has, try opening the door with a key and see if it chirps.

It could also be that a certain key combination or sequence was pressed to turn off the chirp (a.k.a. silent mode).

3. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    It could also be that a certain key combination or sequence was pressed to turn off the chirp (a.k.a. silent mode).[/QUOTE]

+1, try to press and hold the lock and unlock button for few seconds...

but be careful kasi minsan sumasabog yan!!!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    I went back to the garage and tried the remote again, this time with various combinations. Did not work. However, when sometimes, I do hear the sound, albeit very faintly....parang muffled. Would this mean that there's no connection problem?Nabasa kaya?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If its TVSS security system, there's a certain code that you have to input. I think it involves pressing the panic button and lock button at the same time for at least 3 seconds. Not sure about the combination but you can call Toyota naman.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    A quick way to find out if it's the siren circuit (loose connection or whatnot) is to leave the windows down while locking the car up. Wait the required no. of seconds for the alarm to arm and then open a door from the inside. (Or if the alarm has a shock or noise sensor, simply hit the windows hard after it has armed.)

If it has something to do with the siren circuit, then obviously the siren will not sound as strongly as it should, or may not even sound out at all.

Otherwise, it could merely be a matter of setting the alarm to silence the status confirmation "chirp" like the other posters have suggested.

Car Lock Sound Disappeared