New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    BPT turbo... :D :D...

Otherwise, kung cheaply:
    1. Air filter, kahit Simota lang, okay na. If you can put a tube adapter, even better... as the longer your intake tube before the carb, the higher and more directional the airflow into it. (1.5-3k, depending on how far you go)

2. Headers (3-4k), midpipe (maybe 2k... the car is small), muffler (3-5k). If you want even more performance, you can forego the muffler (will sound wickedly BAD!).

3. Carb-replacement? Pero kawawa ka sa fuel bills (5k, depending on carb).

4. lighten the car. Take out things you don't need or use (keep a spare, a tire iron and a jack, siyempre). If you want to go overboard, puwede pati upuan, glass, pintuan... hehehe...

5. Inflate your tires properly. Low pressure robs you of power through rolling resistance, even though it gives you more intial hook up.

6. If you're on aftermarket rims, check the weight. lighter rims will give you better performance. Paradoxically, the stock rims will make the Kia faster, but those tires aren't for going fast.

7. Last resort: Kia 1.5 swap... or Mazda. Kaya lang, medyo ma-pera na yan...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Love you language guys!! Guess I need a mazda motor then? Had a mx3 v6 1800 before, will that fit?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    jeffd, the mx3 v6 1800 is the K8-D. i don't think it would fit in a kia pride without some custom engine mount fabrication. this engine is designed for the MX3 but would also fit in the mazda capella/626. it might be too large for the kia engine bay. although i've seen (on the net) a VW bug (a la herbie) with a JDM 626 KL-ZE engine in it..

.. not to mention the K8-D doesn't have that much power (120-ish horsepower, so about the same as a B6 or an FS-E).

best bet is really a B5 or Z5 engine for the 323. although they also MIGHT require some custom engine mounts (nothing a good welder can't handle). this isn't cheap though, although "KIADOHC"/JR (wonder if he's recovered already) over at www.protegetech.org sells quite a lot of Mazda engines and will even help with the installation.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    cheap speed? buy kna lang dnatured alchol s mercury halo m s tangke 22lin yan tingnan m hehe

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I get the gist of 'some' of the replies and thank you all for the attention.
    The only alcohol I take is down my neck!
    I will look at the air intake and exhaust options availabe in the UK. There are not many tho'.
    Thanks again.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Sorry I have been away so long!
    I swapped my 1.3 SX for a 1992 CS toyota Celica GT4 in teal, one of only 10 ever made. It used too much petrol so I sold it and got a 2000 Kia Pride again (1.3SX too) with 24,000 miles on and perfect bodywork

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffd View Post
    Sorry I have been away so long!
    I swapped my 1.3 SX for a 1992 CS toyota Celica GT4 in teal, one of only 10 ever made. It used too much petrol so I sold it and got a 2000 Kia Pride again (1.3SX too) with 24,000 miles on and perfect bodywork
    That was a hell of an engine swap from a 1.3 to a Turbo Celica. Looking at the pic of your Kia I think the Mazda 1.8 V6 would fit but you'd have to fabricate the engine mount. The 130-140hp on that motor would make that Kia fly, plus it revs like there's no tomorrow. I used to have a MX-3 GS V6 myself and that thing could handle really well.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Thanks redorange.
    I had a MX3 V6 (or two actually!) a few year back.
    I then wemt Celica GT, Celica GT4 205 UK WRC and a Kia pride, then two GT4's but as said, back with the Pride now.
    Price of petrol is killing Britain!
    Might go for a crash damaged MX3 then, cheers.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffd View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before but I am totally new here and still finding my way about!!
    Can anyone point me to a cheap and easy mod to increase the BHP on my Pride 1.3.
    Brakes and suspension will come later. Thanks in advance.
    You can DIY an engine swap from an early model Mazda 323. That would give you a EFI 1.6L engine with around 110hp. That would open up other potential modifications for power as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Can I improve the BHP output cheaply??