New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    ATF is a gentler solution for cleaning engines than engine flush. Did you know that the active ingredient in engine flush is kerosene?

ATF is pretty safe to add to motor oil, it increases the detergency of the oil and lowers its viscosity. In other words, adding 1L of ATF to 3L of ordinary 20W50 motor oil will make the oil more like synthetic oil! (not kidding)

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hmmm....pero won't older engines(like my 2E) have a problem with the resulting(mas malabnaw) oil-ATF mix?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    ATF is a gentler solution for cleaning engines than engine flush. Did you know that the active ingredient in engine flush is kerosene?
    kapag nag change oil ako puwede ko ba haluan na lang ng kerosene yung oil instead of flushing flluid bago ko i drain?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    jeff,

yes it's possible. but there is some risk involved. the procedure is as follows:

1) drain 1L of old oil
    2) add 1L of kerosene
    3) run engine at low speed (1000rpm) for 30min - 1hour until wala nang black smoke

4) let engine "soak" overnight
    5) run engine again until wala nang black smoke
    6) drain all of old oil+kerosene, replace with 20W50 low-grade oil, replace filter also

7) run car for an hour or so, check if oil is turning black (kasi merong mga naiwan na crap inside the engine)

8) if turns black, replace oil AGAIN

the problem with this method is, kung high-mileage na yung car, there might be parts that are held up only by carbon deposits (e.g. damaged valve seat, the carbon deposits act to "kalso" the damaged valve seat).

using kerosene is quite aggressive cleaning, matatanggal lahat ng carbon deposits. so it might remove the "kalso" also baka merong carbon deposits na maiwan sa loob ng oil channels, which will later cause loss of oil pressure and subsequent engine failure.

kaya the safest bet is, just add 1L of ATF to your next oil change. OR, use full synth oil (same effect, actually safer, pero mas mahal...)

5. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    bro, if you have the resources then have your engine overhauled. i'm sure tanggal lahat ng worries mo about leaking oil.

thanks!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i caught BYK101 while channel surfing last night...tessa nieto....mmmmm....

....going back to my point, sabi nung resource person nila that you can discern the condition of your engine(and your fuel mix) by the condition of your spark plugs:

spark plugs are oily -- loose piston rings
    spark plugs seem to crystallize -- lean fuel mix
    spark plugs are covered in soot -- rich fuel mix

...does this apply to car engines as well?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
bleeding to death: dripping oil