New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    mostly mabilis lang magreplace ng valve cover gasket..sa bimmer DIY lang namin wala pa 1 hour tapos na

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    it's a business, they are entitled to make money.

since you are a consumer, you are also entitled to shop around.

mahirap na if you don't

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Per experience, prices of parts bought directly from the repair shop/talyer usually costs more then buying your own (part of this is the price of convenience perhaps).

I havent been to that shop BTW... might do so one of these days though.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    unless the shop is also an auto supply, you can expect the prices to be a bit higher.

it's like if you go to a restaurant, you don't total up the cost of the ingredients then pay that amount. you go there to be served a good meal. and you pay the premium for that.

or a antique store, you don't pay for the price of the wood, but for the finished product.

if you could do the same job yourself, then you wouldn't have to pay the premium. buy the parts, get sweaty and dirty pero free na labor and you get the parts at cost. pero since you can't... you do expect to pay people who can do it for you competently and correctly.

just my 2 cents being a shop owner.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    some shops really don't tack on that much of a premium. isa na diyan si mr. speedyfix

actually i find it kind of puzzling. if a shop doesn't tack on a huge price premium on the parts, then they only make money on the LABOR.

but in my experience, labor in this country is really dirt cheap unless you're talking about the casa. but even at the casa it turns out, about 70% of any repair bill is parts cost. labor cost is really a small fraction.

so the question is: how does a car repair shop make any money?? pinoys are so fond of cheap-ass repairs. but since the parts cost can't go down beyond a certain point, in order for any given shop to become "known" for cheap service, they have to depress their labor cost.

hence we see the escalating bad press about Mang Mario.

actually i've come to the conclusion that, if you want good service cheap, you have to do it yourself. if you want cheap and don't want to get dirty, expect only adequate service at best.

good point orly. we can't have the best of both worlds. You want premium service, you'll also have to pay a premium price, if you want cheap labor, don't set your expectations too high. Ang pinaka maganda nga is to DIY some minor jobs at least you save on labor cost, if you don't want to get down and dirty well shop around and canvass.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by slip-slick
    hmm.. dinala mo pa sa shop just to replace valve cover gasket? the mechanic was probably assuming you know nothing about car maintenance since dinala mo pa sa shop for this job, so ayun, tinaga ka sa presyo.
    yup there is always a first time for everything, haay wala akong kadala dala, in fairness this is my first time na magpalit ng valve cover gasket at least nakita ko kung ano lang ang bubuksan napakadali lang naman pala, at least marunong na ako i can DIY it myself.

haaay madami talaga manloloko na shop yung N-GAGE sa may e rodriguez grabe din kung makataga yun.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by banaweonline
    sir topgun,

you can try complaining with the management. madaling kausap si robert sir.
    banaweonline: thanks but i doubt kung irefund pa nya kasi business nya yun di ba?

speedyfix et. al.

tama kayo business is business, they have to pay labor and overhead costs, at least alam na ng community na kung saan mahal at saan mura mag pagawa ng mga tsikot nila. thats why this website is so informative.

the shops i would never return to are

N-GAGE e rodriguez had a bad experience there.
    yung motorcraft na incident charge to experience =)

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    we offer some minor services din but we markup items and charge accordingly.

minsan kasi ibang shops grabe ang markup, walang pakealam kahit halatang sobrang mahal basta kumita lang sila. well nawawalan naman sila ng customer, their loss.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    actually in my opinion hindi totoo yang "some shops are taga."

those shops charge those prices, from people who don't know any better. walang magtataga kung walang magpapataga. the fact that the shop can get away with charging those prices, means they still have a market.

as speedyfix said, it's their right to make money. and your right to shop around.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
bad experience in Motorcraft banawe