New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    orly_andico, nah... i'm certain they're not obdII compliant pa. mitsus are another matter pero honda didn't start becomming obdII untill the 2001 ES civics. all of the previous cars used the honda 3 prong connector pa. it should be easy enough to check what the problem is by grounding the connector and reading the code.

ronald_m, you're not based in the philippines right? i wouldn't jump to conclusions based on standards of different countries and them apply them right away to the philippines.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I've tried re-setting the ECU by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for more than 5 mins., pero the D4 light is still blinking.

Pero before, when this blinked, I just turned off the engine tapos after starting it after 5 mins, di na sya nagbi-blink. Occasionally there were times na after driving for 10 mins, blink ulit. The problem was intermittent, there were days na meron, sometimes wala. For the whole month of July, di nag-blink.

But now, right after starting the engine, blink agad. Siguro pa-check ko muna sa Zee sa Aurora, kesa bumili ako agad ng surplus na tranny

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    orly_andico, nah... i'm certain they're not obdII compliant pa. mitsus are another matter pero honda didn't start becomming obdII untill the 2001 ES civics. all of the previous cars used the honda 3 prong connector pa. it should be easy enough to check what the problem is by grounding the connector and reading the code.

ronald_m, you're not based in the philippines right? i wouldn't jump to conclusions based on standards of different countries and them apply them right away to the philippines.

Oops.My bad.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Just searched the net for possible solutions to my problem.

From what I've gathered, most likely Transmission Control Module or TCM ang problema, but according to speedyfix, wala naman daw TCM ang PHDM Hondas. So this leaves me stumped. I've tried to reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for about 5 mins, pero nagbi-blink pa rin.

Yung lock-up clutch kaya? Or control solenoids? Kung may TCM sana, pwedeng i-self-diagnostic.

Also, I've noticed na di na ata gumagana yung VTEC. Before kasi, pagpalo ko ng 3000rpm, ramdam ko na yung pag-change gears at tunog ng VTEC. Now, kahit 3500rpm (~120kmh), walang nangyayari. Parang at D4, di na sya nagsi-shift down, even with the pedal to the floor.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    wait, baka nga tcm yan. alam ko the accords and crv's have them. it's the civics that don't.

you might be pretty hard pressed to find it tho.

you can try to see what the error code of the tranny is by grounding the circuit and reading the number of blinks ng d4 light.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    USDM 93 accord has tcm. If you have one,This might help you out.Read your D4 blinks.Got this from shop manual.

code 4=Crank Angle or Crankshaft Position Sensor.
    code 7=Throttle Angle or Throttle Position Sensor
    code 9= #1 Cylinder position sensor
    code 14= Electronic Air Control

you might also have a bad tcm. the resistors goes kaput.
    Last edited by ronald_m; August 31st, 2006 at 10:07 AM.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i'm pretty darn sure a crankshaft sensor, cam sensor, or similar wouldn't have an effect on the tranny shifting. things like the throttle angle and cam sensors would affect idle and high-rpm operation. the air control thingie would affect the idle.

all those codes seem unrelated to the tranny (although they could affect the VTEC like the OP reports).

*galactus, why not go to the casa and have them diagnose it? wala naman sigurong bayad kung di mo ipapagawa sa kanila. definitely whether OBD-I or OBD-II or even non-OBD yan, the casa will have the tool to read it. or baka pwedeng i-DIY (speedyfix prolly knows how to do it.. or pwedeng i-google).

or maybe Zee can have a look at it.

ang alam ko sa US libre magpa-scan ng ECU. ang pinoy nga naman..
    Last edited by orly_andico; August 31st, 2006 at 10:21 AM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    i'm pretty darn sure a crankshaft sensor, cam sensor, or similar wouldn't have an effect on the tranny shifting. things like the throttle angle and cam sensors would affect idle and high-rpm operation. the air control thingie would affect the idle.

all those codes seem unrelated to the tranny (although they could affect the VTEC like the OP reports).

ang alam ko sa US libre magpa-scan ng ECU. ang pinoy nga naman..

I know that.I'm just saying what's on the book.Scanning is not free in the US but if you're handyman you can go to Autzone and loan a scanner.

My 100% guess is TCM, The resistors goes south just like their ECU.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    *ronald_m,
    i meant free scanning sa autozone. or rather you can borrow their scanner for free.

ang alam ko the banawe boys repair ECU's and TCM's. but they have no skills, they just blindly replace parts. :P

although one can buy a surplus ECU or TCM for relatively cheap in banawe. the place is awash with ex-Japan ECU's and TCM's for auto trannies. an ECU for an automatic midsize car is like 2000 petot = $40. but for a manual tranny.. 5X that. i think 90% of ex-Japan salvage are automatics.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    *ronald_m,
    i meant free scanning sa autozone. or rather you can borrow their scanner for free.

ang alam ko the banawe boys repair ECU's and TCM's. but they have no skills, they just blindly replace parts. :P

although one can buy a surplus ECU or TCM for relatively cheap in banawe. the place is awash with ex-Japan ECU's and TCM's for auto trannies. an ECU for an automatic midsize car is like 2000 petot = $40. but for a manual tranny.. 5X that. i think 90% of ex-Japan salvage are automatics.
    Does it make sense kung dalhin sa gumagawa ng tv,dvd appliances?They do have experience with boards,rather than bringing it to banawe bosy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Another AT problem