New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Hi Guys, I just purchased an old school Momo wood rimmed steering wheel and plan to have it installed on my Fortuner. I am willing to risk driving around the city without the airbag coverage since I always wear my safety belt. My question is... Will removing the stock steering wheel confuse the vehicle's computer and cause problems for me? If that does not happen, will I be driving around with the airbag check light on all the time?
    I was born in the 60's and fooled around with cars during the 80's... I just want to relive the "good old days" and enjoy driving around with a shiny wood rimmed steering wheel. Thanks for your advice/warning guys.
    Btw, tech supervisors from the dealerships can't give me a straight answer... installers in Banawe... hmmm.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Yes I think the airbag warning light will light up once you swap out the stock helm for your wooden Momo. Best bet would be to look for a resistor to simulate the load of the airbag circuitry, and wire it in its place to effectively disable the airbag warning light. The resistor will fool the system into thinking that the airbag circuitry is still there. I'm not sure how exactly you'd do this though.

Alternatively you could just put electrical tape over the airbag warning light and be done.

Anyway there shouldn't be anything else electrical or electronic in the steering wheel. Wiring the horn button is standard fare on Momos. HTHs

After market steering wheel