New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    jeff::: There are no tell tale signs when to change them. Timing belts are well protected and covered infront of your engine. You must follow the required kilometer reading when to replace them, even if they still look good for another 50k kms. You wouldn't want to break that belt.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I have an L200 with the 4d56 engine. I replaced the timing belt at the 60,000km mark because I noticed some oil leaking at the front end. I replaced the timing belt, balancer belt (the small belt), fan belt, power steering belt, crankshaft oil seal, camshaft oil seal, another oil seal which I forgot what, and the belt tensioner. I figured that I'd do it all at one time so that I won't have to worry for another 60Tkm.

You can inspect your timing belt by removing the upper timing belt cover and looking for cracks or tears in the belt. However you won't be able to see the balancer belt which is located in the lower portion of the engine. Best to replace everything at the 60tkm mark.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    balancer belt pala tawag dun sa smaller belt. hay sa wakas, alam ko na rin i still don't have any idea though kung para saan ito at kahit putol na umaandar pa rin paj ng tropa ko. :D

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    me bought everything kanina including the relay for the glow plugs and the water pump.total damage....7300. pakakabit ko lang sa mekaniko ko. give ko nalang maga 500, ok na yun.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I doubt if any mechanic will accept only P500 for replacing timing belts and oil seals. Its a big and long job - at least half a day's work and requires a helper. And you should get a very good mechanic - you'll have lots of troubles if the engine timing is not properly set, even it misses by just one tooth.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    very true indeed. our company's pajero was just recently overhauled and it was noticeable na mahirap talaga humirit pag paakyat. kinakapos ng pwersa at nanginginig. then it was found out na mali ang timing. by just one tooth

ngayon ok na naman. hataw na naman.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    gave the guy 1k,,, kala ko makalusot eh....ok na ulit paj ko. next jan na palit na oil...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    naputulan na kami ng timing belt sa 4d56 engine. Not worth overhauling, ang daming nasira. We just got a surplus engine. And if you change the timing belt, change the others mentioned as well. Yup, mitsu recommends 60K change timing belt, but the service advisor told me up to 80K pwede pa. Ang hina naman ng mitsu diesels, at 60-80K palit na, while toyotas, nissans, and mazdas recommend at 100K.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Yup, it looks like mitsu's 4d56 needs more maintenance than toyota's. My mechanic told me that you have to replace all the front end oil seals when you replace timing belts. Allegedly 4D56's have a history of leaking engine oil seals.

We have a fleet of hiluxes and we don't normally replace oil seals when we replace timing belts at the 100Tkm mark and we seldom experience leaking oil seals. We only experience oil seal failures if the engine experience overheats.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    nyak! dumadami na talaga ang dapat kong palitan

cars..you can't live with them, you can't live without them..just like women..high maintenance he he :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
4d56 timing belt questions