New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Help Everyone. Kabibili ko lang ng 1990 AE92 with a 4AGE engine last January. But lately I have noticed that the car has been having some slight hatak issue. I noticed that in lower gears 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear changes, pag pick-up ko feel ko na parang na sho-short ang gas supply. But the engine doesn't die, parang mag short or loss power lang sya temporarily then it will recover naman. At idle the engine is okey. Kung mag-revolution ka naman at stationery lang ang kotse nothing seems to be bad. Lumalabas lang paminsan-minsan pag nag change gears ka from 1st to 3rd but more common sya sa 2nd to 3rd.

For an overview and to those who think na posible that this could be a fuel pump issue, i'll give a brief description. The car's fuel pump is mounted right inside the engine compartment just by the wall nung wheelbox sa front left. Sabi ng iba this is wrong mounting or set-up raw. They said the pump should be a submersible type. Mine raw is a suction type of fuel pump (from mercedez), and malamang this could be it. Its possible raw the pump is not able to suck 100% fuel. The pump's pressure has been gauged already. Pressure reading at idle is about 35psi. Sabi ng mekaniko okey raw ito. Medyo malikot lang yung needle ng gauge which the mechanic thinks hindi normal or tama. The gauge's needle should be steady lang raw.

When the problem occurs I was also thinking that the fuel capacity in the tank could be an issue. Most of the time kasi when I gas up for the day tama lang for what I need for the day, like 200 to 400 per loading. Could this be it? But just today nagload na ako ng marami-rami. I have about 600 to 700 pesos of 95octane fuel in the tank.

Today di lumabas yung problema but im not sure if kung na cure yung problem with the so much fuel I loaded up.

So what do you guys think ang problem? Is there something wrong with the pump? Is the mounting or set-up wrong? Should I convert to a submersible type fuel pump? Other mechanics said kasi, pag fuel injection system raw ang engine the fuel pump should be the submersible type inside the gas tank para mas maganda and fuel supply.

Or are there other causes for this? like electrical perhaps, etc. etc... By the way this car is my everyday and family car sa ngayon. house to kids school to work, work to kids school to house. Yung liftback ko naka temporarily standby.

Thanks in advance for everyone's advice.

1 Day After above thread: I went to my school's son to pick him up. Killed the engine and waited. After 15minutes or so I restarted. And guess what?? Nag start sya just enough for me to pull-out from my parking slot. When I got out namatay agad. Super traffic nagawa ko. I tried starting the engine again pero ayaw na mag start. Meron action to start but would not fully start. After 15 times, more or less, of trying I decided to give up. Tinawagan ko mekaniko ko and after 40 mins. or so dumating sya. Ang guess what happened? Nung sabihin nyang i-start ko inistart ko tapos umandar. Inissss pare. Pag nainis ako ico-convert ko ito ng carb. First time ko magka injection type engine i think easier to maintain ang carb. Bad trip talaga.

Help naman dyan. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by R2D5 View Post
    Help Everyone. Kabibili ko lang ng 1990 AE92 with a 4AGE engine last January. But lately I have noticed that the car has been having some slight hatak issue. I noticed that in lower gears 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear changes, pag pick-up ko feel ko na parang na sho-short ang gas supply. But the engine doesn't die, parang mag short or loss power lang sya temporarily then it will recover naman. At idle the engine is okey. Kung mag-revolution ka naman at stationery lang ang kotse nothing seems to be bad. Lumalabas lang paminsan-minsan pag nag change gears ka from 1st to 3rd but more common sya sa 2nd to 3rd.

For an overview and to those who think na posible that this could be a fuel pump issue, i'll give a brief description. The car's fuel pump is mounted right inside the engine compartment just by the wall nung wheelbox sa front left. Sabi ng iba this is wrong mounting or set-up raw. They said the pump should be a submersible type. Mine raw is a suction type of fuel pump (from mercedez), and malamang this could be it. Its possible raw the pump is not able to suck 100% fuel. The pump's pressure has been gauged already. Pressure reading at idle is about 35psi. Sabi ng mekaniko okey raw ito. Medyo malikot lang yung needle ng gauge which the mechanic thinks hindi normal or tama. The gauge's needle should be steady lang raw.

sir, I think that you really need to relocate that External BOSCH Fuel Pump, near the Fuel Tank. hindi talaga pwede ang ganyang set-up na malayo ang Fuel Pump mula sa fuel tank, specially pag Fuel Injected ang makina. coz whats happening is that youre having Fuel Starvation. kinakapos sa gasolina ang makina, specially pag umaandar na kotse.. hindi masyado umaabot ang gasolina to the Fuel Pump since that your Fuel Pump is located too far. and I bet wala pa ito sa tamang level from the fuel tank.

also, hindi magiging accurate ang test ng mekaniko mo kahit na lumabas ng 35 psi ang Fuel Pressure at Idle. specially pag naka mount ng ganyan ang Fuel Pump.. mag iiba agad ang Fuel Pressure pag tumatakbo na ang kotse, specially nga pag nasa 1st,2nd and 3rd gear ka. talagang babalik sa tanke ang gasolina (coz of gravity) at nahihirapan humigop ng Fuel ang External Fuel Pump, lalo na pag sobrang layo sa tanke (at pag hindi pa level) ang location niya.

anywayz, get that Fuel Pump re-located near the Fuel Tank and mount it as low as possible. if not, get a In-tank fuel pump (complete w/ a mounting bracket, strainer, wiring harness & lines) from a Fuel Injected AE92 (or even from a AE101... you might need to do a little custom fabrication work) pero you know how it is sa Pilipinas.. walang imposible. also, if your using a External BOSCH Fuel Pump, make sure that its getting a full 12 volt power source. coz if your not giving it a full 12 volts, that will destroy the Fuel Pump.

aite, peace.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    KBR; Thanks for the input. I am scouting already for submersible type fuel pumps. Prices vary here in Davao. Ang mahal pala. One store has a MITSU submersible pump for 1.6 car at 2500.00 the other store has for KIA at 2500 rin and one type costing 7000.00. Ung isang shop napuntahan ko yesterday has one for 5000.00, for the pump and mounting already, bale all-in price na. Im not sure lang kung brand new yung pump. I have yet to find a TOYOTA brand mismo na sub type fuel pump.

But today I will try muna to relocate the pump near the tank and mas lower sa tank, before I spend thousands of pesos. I really like the car and the current set-up thats why sobra frustration ko na nito.

Thanks again and hope others would chime in some more.

4age/ae92 Problems