New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    never done it myself, so i'm not the most informed source. i did help my friend install a crate in his camaro and afaik whatever mods need to be done are sold as part of the package. i don't remember if we needed to mod any towers or mounts...
    what year camaro? what size engine? that would possibly dictate what would be needed as far as making room or not making room...

you cant recall if you touched the shock towers?...if you didnt even touch em then could it be remotely possible that the engine was not too big? so it fit right it.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine.html

The Cleveland looks very different from the Windsor. The Windsor is a tall block 289/302 variety.

If you want something different. Get a 302 block and put 351C 4V heads. An instant 302 BOSS. Add some solid cam and lifter set, roller rockers, dome pistons to get atleast 10:1 compression to avoid knocking.

Better use the BOSS combination.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ps/index2.html
    Last edited by turbo; August 25th, 2006 at 07:26 PM. Reason: additional information

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    D4AE, 351W veriety.

Meron akong Mallory UNILITE para dyan!
    Last edited by turbo; August 25th, 2006 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Additional information

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It seems you have a windsor as Turbo rightly pointed out. That engine can fit your engine bay without taking out the shock towers.

You can buy 351-W engine mounts from mustangs plus or mustangs unlimited for a direct fit. I believe both on-line shops sell the Prothane brand.

Btw, you are right in saying that a 351W can beat a 390FE. Firstly, the 351W affords the car better balance being lighter than the 390FE engine. Secondly, you can tweak the 351W for higher revs by replacing the stock carb into a Holley double pumper 4-barrel type and getting a high-riser intake manifold. Getting aftermarket cylinder heads (Trick Flow) would greatly help in stumping the 390FE.

Good Luck in your project!!!

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    By the way, Chevy has no shock towers. And Camaro engine bay can accomodate a Big block with just a Big Block mount change. But you have to replace the springs with a stiffer set.

As for using Mustang II suspension, it is a very technical job that needs careful measurement and alignment.

Stay with the 302, and set it up with K-code specs, just like what WOODFIRE did. Solid cam and lifter, roller rockers, dual plane intake, Mallory Unilite.

If you are going the solid cam way, be adviced that though solid cams offer excelent performance, periodic adjustment of valve clearance is needed.

It is your call.

By the way HOTROX, I have a set of GT heads(14 hole-exhaust bolt) for your 390 FE. These are hi compression heads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
351 cid into a 65 mustang