New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    It’s been a long time coming, but today we can finally bring you the first official photographs and news of the new McLaren MP4-12C. It’s the supercar known until now by its P11 codename, but make no mistake: the MP4-12C is the first bespoke McLaren road car since the seminal F1.

For CAR's full 13-page photoshoot of the MP4-12C and interviews with McLaren chief Ron Dennis and Macca fan and F1 owner Jay Leno, read the new November 2009 issue of CAR Magazine, out 15 September.

The two-seater MP4-12C doesn’t go on sale until early 2011, when it'll wade into what McLaren Automotive calls the ‘core sports car market’ spanning from £125,000-£175,000. Expect a pricetag around £160,000, pitching it a notch above Ferrari’s new 458 Italia.

Why so expensive? Blame the extensive – and expensive – use of carbonfibre, a technology McLaren first introduced to roadcarkind in 1993’s F1. McLaren calls the skeleton of the MP4-12C the Carbon MonoCell, an unusually light one-piece structure where most supercars normally use assembled composite architectures. Although pricey, it's developed using a much quicker, cheaper production method than the McMerc SLR's tub, and it's clothed in aluminium and SMC plastic body panels.

The tub pictured in our gallery weighs a featherweight 80kg; it’s a thing of beauty and, stand beside it like we did at an exclusive preview, you really can lift it up with one hand. Makes you realise why McLaren has never made a car with a metal chassis.

No kerbweight has yet been issued, but it'll be in the 1.3-tonne ballpark, helped by conventional brakes whose forged aluminium hubs save 8kg and – incredibly – weigh less than ceramic stoppers. That's turning received wisdom on its head for you...

So what’s the engine in the new McLaren MP4-12C?

It’s a 3.8-litre 90-degree V8 mounted amidships and producing ‘around 600bhp and 443lb ft’. ‘It delivers the highest horsepower to CO2 ratio of any car on the market today with an internal combustion engines – and that includes petrol and diesel hybrids,’ boasts Antony Sheriff, MD of McLaren Automotive. Expect a CO2 output somewhere just south of 300g/km.

Contrary to earlier speculation, this is McLaren’s own V8, dubbed M838T and breathed on by twin turbos and driving the rear wheels through a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox (no manual is available). The V8 has a dry sump and a flat-plane crank like a race engine, to lower the centre of gravity and allow a higher rev limit of 8500rpm.

Every single component of the MP4-12C is unique, vows McLaren. Not a single switch or part is pilfered from a rival’s parts bin.

What’ll she do, mister?

McLaren claims that 80% of the MP4-12C's torque is available below 2000rpm, so it'll be damned quick. Actual performance figures aren’t available yet, but we hear the 0-60mph time will be in the three-point-something-second bracket and it seems a dead cert that the MP4-12C will top 200mph with some ease.

Are there active electro nannies at play? A few. Brake Steer uses the stability control to dial out understeer by braking the inside rear wheel, but McLaren claims there are remarkably few microchips at play; instead, they prefer an aerodynamically sound body to help keep the MP4-12C planted. There are no protruding spoilers or air dams, the underfloor is flat and those kiwi tick air vents on the flanks are 100% functional. (Check out the tick motif repeated on the LED day running lights).

There's also a new gadget on the twin-clutch Seamless Shift Gearbox (SSG – another bloody acronym like DSG!). It has two wet clutches and something called Pre-Cog. Rather than guessing which ratio you'll pick next like most dual-clutch 'boxes, you half press or pull the paddle to warn the car, like on an auto-focus camera. That ratio is then selected and – bang – you're into the desired cog almost instantly.

What’s the MP4-12C name all about?

Ah yes. The MP4 bit is the chassis designation of all McLaren Formula 1 cars since 1981 – harking back to the merger from Ron Dennis’s Project 4 organisation. The twelve refers to McLaren’s internal benchmarking system for rating its own cars and rivals, ranking power, weight, efficiency and so forth. The C apparently refers to carbon, although we wonder if it shouldn’t stand for coupé as there will be a roadster MP4-12 too.

We're glad to report that CAR's scoop of summer 2007 was spot-on – a few details have changed, but our P11 exclusive was indeed the foundation for the MP4-12C. It's a shape that owes plenty to the F1, including the cool scissor doors. It's a good looking car, simple but not shocking in the way Lamborghinis are. A touch Lotus Esprit-alike? Perhaps. But we'll admit CAR is more wild about the Macca's tech spec than its attire.

At the rear, the MP4-12C's rump is dominated by the V8's cooling needs; the diffuser aids rear downforce, twin exhausts exit high and central and most of the back end is left open to extract hot air, while the rear lamps are cleverly hidden in the top two horizontal black bars. An air brake pops up at speed to improve stopping ability. Cleverly, it's raised by passing air flow once triggered, rather than relying on heavy mechanicals.

McLaren MP4-12C: the business story

Woking plans to build just 1000 12Cs in its first year on sale in 2011. That’s just 3.5% of the core sports car market, says McLaren. It’s hopeful that the demand for Gallardos and Ferrari V8s, which expanded from 8000 sales in 2000 to more than 28,000 in 2007, will recover post recession. A quarter of sales will go to the US and UK each, with the remaining sales shared around Germany, mainland Europe, the Middle and Far East.

Sitting inside the MP4-12C, you're left feeling envious of future owners. This is a wonderful cabin, more individual than the slightly derivative exterior. You drop in through the dihedral doors opened through touch pads, settle into thin but spot-on seats. The upright 7-inch multimedia screen dominates the centre console, and the view ahead is clear and unencumbered compared with many supercars.

There are some gizmos in the cabin: launch control primes the car for take-off at velocity, while drivers can pick Normal, Sport and High Performance settings for throttle response, gearshift speed and damper settings.
    CAR Magazine UK

I have been waiting to see this car for a long time now. It definitely one of the most eagerly anticipated cars of the year. And I think it looks absolutely stunning and gorgeous.
    It's styled just right and i'm having the worst time trying to decide which out of the 458 and the LP560 and this is better looking. But out of the styling, my favourite part is how it has a few details that hark all the way back to the F1. And from what I can see there is a bit for Ferrari/Lamborghini/Lotus/Audi in the mix there too.
    Either way I think that this is one stunning piece of kit. The 7 Speed Gearbox is nothing new but 600 BHP! From a 3.8!!!!! Thats biblically insane! And I love how Mclaren have to claim that this car has the highest horsepower per C02 ratio. It's brilliant! It'll make Greenpeace happy. And I also love how they are able to make the whole carbon fibre tub out of one block. It's so efficient and brilliant.
    This is one of the greatest engineering masterpieces I believe this side of a Veyron. I can't wait for it to hit the roads. I bet it'll sound amazing. Pity they didn't bring back the F1's 24 carat gold engine bay.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    looks nice but somewhat a little bit generic on the looks. Was expecting something unique looking like the 458. Probably they played safe.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    pure mclaren kaya ito? kasi diba merong mclaren mercedes slr ba yun

4. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    baket walang kambyo? papano kung traffic at mag neu neutral ka?

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    buttons ata ang kambyo nito..

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Still not as intimidating as the F1. But what the heck, it's way cheaper...

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIAOLSh2Xpw"]YouTube- McLaren MP4-12C Experimental Prototypes Tests by F1 drivers Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrU6foQS-Oc[/ame]

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Double post

McLaren MP4-12C