New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ganun nangyayari sa niece ko, mas close sya sa amin at sa lola nya, pag umuuwi mom nya dedma lang, namimiss and all, but no closeness... 8yo palang yun.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    kasabihan yan nung araw nung wala pang mga ofw at isang kahig isang tuka ang term sa pangkaraniwang trabahador kaya one-day millionaire tawag pero siguro ngayun matatawag nang 30-day millionaires due to multiplier in terms of dollar-peso value!
    one debatable aspect IMO is the domino effect (i.e. sales/service increase etc.) remittance of this $12B/year money that are being spent in the philippines kaya misleading yung good ecomomic outlook na sinasabi ng nasa administrasyon dahil unfortunately naging service oriented lang ang economy natin.

'in the meantime the surge in the number of ofw's will still continue...

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post
    ^^ Yup. Piranha ang dapat itawag sa kanila.

Sa Barangay namin, gusto nila lahat painumin mo. Grabe! Pupuntahan ka pa sa bahay! Pag di mo pinansin at syempre di naman lahat pwede mong paunlakan, sabihin sa iyo........."Pare, takot ka na sa Pilipino, ah!"

Buti na lang we're moving out na this year, to our new house. Bye-bye mga PIRANHAS!
    Congrats, bro chua!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    i think leech, parasite, or vulture is more apt
    Mga piranha kasi, they swarm.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by teeyoh View Post
    ...one debatable aspect IMO is the domino effect (i.e. sales/service increase etc.) remittance of this $12B/year money that are being spent in the philippines kaya misleading yung good ecomomic outlook na sinasabi ng nasa administrasyon dahil unfortunately naging service oriented lang ang economy natin.

'in the meantime the surge in the number of ofw's will still continue...
    OT na tayo boss, but we've had OFWs since the 80s. Ngayon lang pala sila naging cause for a "good economic outlook"?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by DonT View Post
    Sometimes, it defeats the purpose of being an OFW. I do not want to find out that after all the long years of working abroad, parang meaningless ang paghihirap at existence ko.
    I was in a situation like this before. The bank i work for was offering to send me to the middle east to work on the setting up of the remittance business/arm. I was being offered a decent USD salary on top of my basic salary in Manila plus all my expenses will be paid for.

I decided to stay. Although it's hard making ends meet with what i earn now, i get to accompany my daughter to her "big school" interview, watch her preschool play (and her face lighted up seeing me in the audience with my camera), etc... it's just something a parent cannot miss. My sister told me before that it's not only the financial aspect of being a parent that matters but more importantly, the emotional aspect.

My Nokia 1100 is already conking out on me already but what the heck.

Let's just hope that those who go abroad prioritize the importance of providing a good education and shelter to their children to enable them to have better opportunities to work in the Philippines (or at least close to their families) when they graduate rather than the material aspect of things (yes material things are okay, as long as it's within the means of a person).
    Last edited by vinj; November 7th, 2007 at 07:14 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    I was in a situation like this before. The bank i work for was offering to send me to the middle east to work on the setting up of the remittance business/arm. I was being offered a decent USD salary on top of my basic salary in Manila plus all my expenses will be paid for.

I decided to stay. Although it's hard making ends meet with what i earn now, i get to accompany my daughter to her "big school" interview, watch her preschool play (and her face lighted up seeing me in the audience with my camera), etc... it's just something a parent cannot miss. My sister told me before that it's not only the financial aspect of being a parent that matters but more importantly, the emotional aspect.

My Nokia 1100 is already conking out on me already but what the heck.

Let's just hope that those who go abroad prioritize the importance of providing a good education and shelter to their children to enable them to have better opportunities to work in the Philippines (or at least close to their families) when they graduate rather than the material aspect of things (yes material things are okay, as long as it's within the means of a person).
    Yup yup yup :D

I was asked to spend 6mos in India a couple of years ago, like your case, US$ + local pay...

No friggin way, I ain't gonna miss my son's first mumbles/step for that hehe...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    sad to say marami ngang ganyan. may mga kakilala kami na ganun. and being a part of an OFW family (my dad was a seaman before) well na expe ko rin yang mga hingi hingi na yan na minsan ala na sa lugar. buti sana kung pangtulong eh hindi pang bisyo naman well now for me sensible nmn mga friends ko so i think no prob. malaman ko pag uwi ng dec. pero ala din nmn ako mabibigay hehe, kasi most of my remittance is napunta pambayad utang .well at least wala na interes na po problemahin. sa susunod yung real ipon na and hopefully this will enable me to get out of the rat race.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Maganda mag OFW pag binata/dalaga. Wala kang iisiping iiwanan. O kaya yung kasama buong pamilya mo if you're married.

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    saan bang bansa yung ang pera eh pinupulot lang at lilipat ako dun.
    dito kasi sa amin eh kahit winter at nasa parttime eh tagaktak ang pawis.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Most OFWs, One Day Millionaires?