New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Does anyone here know exactly what accounts to the relatively low resale value of these cars? I used to blame quality issues for this (based on read articles and some experience), but in other threads, owners defended their cars' worth. Some claimed that their Nissans did them proud, and that they're not as unreliable as others think.

Perhaps I just wasn't lucky enough to drive a decent Nissan, but I still believe there's a negative reason why the going for 2nd hand models is so inexpensive.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Nissan Parts are not cheap specially the hard to find ones. Some of the parts are even priced like Mercedes Parts. Another thing is it hard to find surplus part for Nissan unlike Toyota ot Mitsubishi. The good side is Nissan parts last more longer than other cars. I have a Nissan Sentra Diesel had it for 15 years na only last year the auxiliary was repaired when the carbon wore out na and there was 4 carbons instead of 2 kaya mahal ang parts.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The major reason why 2nd hand nissans are priced low is the public perception of nissan cars being low quality. But that just means that buying a second hand nissan car will give you very good value for money. My wife's car is a second hand nissan sentra series 3. She's pretty happy with the car too.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    It's in the name. If the name of the car is Toyota, maganda ang resale value. I have a friend, who commented, "This car (Sorrento) is very good. The look, features, performance, etc. There is only one difference - It's Kia."

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Pinoys are transfixed to the Toyota & Honda brands.

Don't really know but almost all Jap vehicles are at par with each other in terms of quality & reliability.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I think the "very cheap" price would pertain to the late 80's to mid 90's model of nissan. Back then Nissan are perceved to have poor build quality. Nowadays i would not say that preowned Nissan comes in very cheap price. Siguro slightly cheaper than their counterparts.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Market conditions lang yan... nasanay na kasi ang Pinoy about the Nissans of old. Kaya kahit yung bago, pareho rin ang treatment sa market value.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    It's like what GH and Mazda2 had said: public perception and rule-of-thumb preference. Mazda said it right: almost all Jap vehicles are at par with each other. Now, if you go to Japan and observe their market, the Japanese slightly favor Nissan and Honda over Toyota and Mitsubishi. For instance (based on my observations), the Nissan Skyline is more valued than the Toyota Celica, or the Mitsubishi Eclipise. Here, if you mention the name "Skyline" to the the driving public, most of them would probably say "Skyline what?", Now, if you mention "Toyota Celica", a good number of them would probably say "Ah yes, I've heard of that."

One must also remember that during the late 60's, to the 70's and even up to the early 80's, Toyota ruled the market with Mitsubishi following a close secnd. Back then, there was no Nissan but there were Datsuns. What most people don't know is that Datsun is Nissan and vice-versa.

During the economic crisis of the first half of the 80's, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Ford (remember the Telstar and the Laser?) and also Gemini stopped local production/assembly. During those times, what you would commonly see on the street are the Corona (Silver Edtion, Macho Machne, etc), Corolla (DX-Liftback, DX-Sedan) of Toyota and the Galant (Lambda, Sigma), Lancer (box-type, L-type) of Mitsubishi.

So my generation and the generation before me were exposed to Toyota and Mistubishi while we were growing up. As we got older and we now can afford to get a car, guess what brand we would look for? You guessed right: either Toyota or a Mitsubishi. Why? Because these brands have already "burned" their marks in our sub-conscious.

Sorry, I think I got carried away.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A big factor is perception brought about by the old models (notably the Stanza, Maxima, and B12).

If people will continue to harp on poor reliability then i'm sure a good number of guys are very willing to debate on that.

Skyline -> the Fairlady in the Land of the Rising Sun.

Its all about perception, was having 2nd taughts when before purchasing the X-trail, and we're leading towards the Rav4 but I have no regrets with our decision. Thumbs up to Nissan

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Why are used Nissans very cheap? [MERGED]