New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    HELLO! i'm new here. i live in the hi-lands of Bontoc, Mt. Province.

I would like your guidance.

i'm planning to buy a used safari. my choices are posted at car finder. there's the '96 model that is already modified and a stock '98 model. their price range is not that far, as posted, mga 20thou ang difference. don't know the body condition of the two safaris, as yet.

ang mods ng '96 is lifted suspension, after market coils and shocks, snorkels, chrome mags and 33 tires.

ganyan din ang balak ko na mods should i get a stock safari, plus steel front and rear bumpers and a winch. in-the-length-of-time ha.

sooo given those, what you say? and can you give me an idea on how much will i be spending should i get a stock and apply the mods i want.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    bro get the stock with the winch .. then modify mo nalang shock, coil, tires, mags sa taste and design na gusto mo .. IMO

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa akin lang ha? i prefer kasi clean cut stock units on SUVs and CUVs. sa akin, mas maganda imodify ang sedans.

go for the stock first. if you like how it looks like and how it feels like without modifying it, then good.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    bbrave - there's nothing wrong in getting a car with aftermarket mods already especially performance mods. Just make sure that they are all in good condition.

In this case, check the shocks for leaking or busted ones.

Remember, there are bargain deals that are really as good as they appear. Deals like these save you a heap of money and the 'hit and miss' factor in putting on the mods yourself.

Good Luck!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Well... the two year difference between the two models might the reason why they are relatively priced similarly.

Although you cannot really compare used vehicles based on what is just posted in the car finder... check it out for yourself... test drive it... bring a mechanic... etc.

bigbigcar.com Review: Toyota Avanza 1.5G

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    get the stock. there is a certain degree of pleasure derived from modifying your ride to your specs and desires. hehehe

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Thank you again for the inputs guys.

between the '96 and '98 model, in stock form, is there any real difference? except the year model?

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    welcome to tsikot. i'd go with the 98 stock over the 96 modified. it's better to modify it at my standard and purpose. sigurado pang bago lahat esp pang ilalim...IMO
    PM mo si afrasay. forte nya yan kasi may ganyan siya eh

paging boss alfred

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    hi sir,

my preference would be to get the stock 98. and start from there. you may not be happy on how the 96 was modified and the wont know the condition of the aftermarket components. eg. you may find the setup too stiff/ bumpy or too soft especially your in off road country.

basic major difference from the 96 and 98 safari is the injection pump. the 96 uses a bosch inline injection pump and the 98 uses the rotary type. some say the inline gives more torque while the rotary give better top speed. but don't quote me on this. you may want to ask you local calibration shop which is servicable in your region. i have heard that you could spend up to 90k on the rotary type and around 30 on the in-line one. other than that, its just more of cosmetics. like decals, add ons to the instrument panels. box coolers.

hope this helps.

what's a better option: a modified 2nd hand safari or a stock then modify it?